6/12 Month Rentals - Gas/Electric/Telephone/Broadband contracts?

Tom Amy Lancaster

Hi guys,

I have a quick question regarding renting properties & the telephone/broadband contracts etc.

I've been looking around the internet, trying to get a rough idea of costings etc as I'm putting a budget together so we can have an idea of what we would be paying out weekly/monthly when we make the move, but I'm confused as to the length of the rentals & the length of the contracts available on some of the contracts.

Electricity & gas - would we be required to set up new accounts with suppliers, or is it all in the Landlords name, we'd just be billed by them & pay direct? We've never rented before, so it's all new to us.

Telephone/Broadband/TV - these all seem to be available on 24 month contracts, but if we're just in a 6/12 month rental how do we go about getting these for the term of our rental, or would we be able to transfer them across to our new rental should we decide to move when the rental contract was up?

Water - I've read about water rates, any idea how much these are? Do we pay these, or are these included in the rent? I've also read about water usage. I presume water meters are big in Aus & we'd just pay as we use sort of thing? Again, is this all in the landlords name, or are accounts needed to be set up?

It's stressful enough moving house in England, so I want to make sure I have as much knowledge about things before we make the HUGE move across to Aus.

Thank you

Ahh yes! We'd be heading to the Gold Coast

Do you know which suppliers offer month by month broadband/phone? I presume it'd be more money.

it'd probably useful to say which state you'll be moving to, but generally you get the utilities set up in your name and you can get phone and broadband on a month by month basis.

Ahh yes! We'd be heading to the Gold Coast

Do you know which suppliers offer month by month broadband/phone? I presume it'd be more money.

TPG offer a 6 month contract on Broadband/phone. We used them when we were on a 6 month rental contract. Speed on broadband was great and no issues.

You can get electricity packages that are month to month or no fixed contract, we use AGL. Doesnt seem to cost much more.

Also, keep in mind that if you do sign up for longer, you can move house and still keep the same contract going, its not a contract on the address.

Guest lisa crowe

In NSW......This is our break down..

Rent..$430pw

Elec.....$36pw

TPG...Unlimited download/100 free minutes international calls....$17.50pw

Vodaphone, contract....$20pw

Health insurance......$60pw

Food (2 adults, 1 child) $150/$200pw

We have no gas, and water is included in with the rent hope this helps

Archived