Osteoarthritis

Guest RCK

My husband has osteoarthritis of the hips. He is 39 and will need a both hips replacing over the next few years.

Does anyone know if he will fail the medical requirement for Australia.

Have a search around the forum I think arthritis has been discussed before.

I guess you could discuss with a migration agent.

The only thing is that here in Aus if treated in a public hospital he would be on a long waiting list to get the hips replaced as its elective surgery. To use private health insurance to have it carried out you would need to be in the fund for over 12 months before they would pay for a pre-existing condition. There would be out of pocket expenses and mine for my knee replacement this year and I have top private were three thousand dollars, that was over and above the health insurance payments and medicare payments.

He won't fail. I have had RA since I was 12 and will need hips and knees done in the next 10-15 years. I passed with flying colours. He's not seen as a massive financial burden on the heath system. That is pretty much what it boils down to.

Thanks for your replies there is every chance my husband may have had one hip replaced over in the UK in the next few months but we do not want to start the process if this condition will fail the health requirements.

Archived