Got our Visa, were moving to melbourne! Wahooooo

Hey everyone, we have finally got our visa and have booked our flights for next march, we got a few months to save some extra cash!! It would be great to start making some friends before we get there :smile: great to here from anyone else in similar situation x

Guest guest30085

Hi Peter and Abbie

Congratulations on getting your visa, good luck with your plans and the move over :) x

Guest guest30085

Im not there yet :(

Im still re-training and it could be another year or so for me, but will probably be headed to Perth, as its the place I have visited most and have a huge amount of family over there. Unfortunately, its a long term plan for me.

Hey everyone, we have finally got our visa and have booked our flights for next march, we got a few months to save some extra cash!! It would be great to start making some friends before we get there :smile: great to here from anyone else in similar situation x

We're heading to Melbourne too! Heading out October 6th. I'm Aussie, OH is USA. But I've been in the UK > 9 years, I know how to whinge about the rain, the sun and the snow, so I definitely qualify for PIO

Let me know via PM if you need any info on our move so far or read the thread I started in the shipping section

Aww that will be great to keep in touch, good luck with the move. Are you heading to a particular area? What are you doing about jobs xxx

We're heading to Melbourne too! Heading out October 6th. I'm Aussie, OH is USA. But I've been in the UK > 9 years, I know how to whinge about the rain, the sun and the snow, so I definitely qualify for PIO

Let me know via PM if you need any info on our move so far or read the thread I started in the shipping section

Aww that will be great to keep in touch, good luck with the move. Are you heading to a particular area? What are you doing about jobs xxx

We're heading to Pascoe Vale / Essendon . My current job will let me work remote for a bit then going to hit up JobServe. See what I can find. The oh is due on 19th Dec so she won't be working for a bit. How about you

• 4 weeks later...
We're heading to Pascoe Vale / Essendon . My current job will let me work remote for a bit then going to hit up JobServe. See what I can find. The oh is due on 19th Dec so she won't be working for a bit. How about you

Sorry for delay in reply! We dont know where to start off really,we have been looking at renting in the city first and exploring.(do you recommend anywhere??)

Am hoping to get a nursing job but think its too early to apply yet,and the OH a job in IT! Fingers crossed its not too difficult.

Congrats on the baby! fab news hope the move goes smooth for you both, do you have family in melbourne?

Abbie n Peter

Sorry for delay in reply! We dont know where to start off really,we have been looking at renting in the city first and exploring.(do you recommend anywhere??)

Am hoping to get a nursing job but think its too early to apply yet,and the OH a job in IT! Fingers crossed its not too difficult.

Congrats on the baby! fab news hope the move goes smooth for you both, do you have family in melbourne?

Abbie n Peter

Hi Abbie,

We've booked 8 weeks at this place (www.rydgesresidences.com.au) and a woman there by the name of Kimberly has looked after us. This seemed like quite a good way to go. As you don't know Melbourne, I can tell you, Preston isn't the nicest area, but it also isn't the worst. It's probably about 5 - 6 miles outside of the CBD (central business district) of Melbourne.

It seems a lot of the expats seem to head down towards the water, prices are obviously going to be a bit higher there, and from what I remember traffic is also heavier, but you have easy access to the beaches for the summer.

Our move is coming along slowly, I need to book a removalist in the next few days, and start notifying utility companies of our move out plans.

At least the flights booked give us a nice line in the sand :)

Congrats on the Visa....

Guest MurphsAndMaya

Hey Abbie, Peter AND Hamish...

congrats on visas, we've been here since January this year and have had our emotional ups and downs but its all good. :)

There are many cool areas to live in Melbourne (Yarraville is where we lived for our first 6 weeks - very funky, youthful place) (this was booked through AirBnB - look up on Google, put in Melbourne - handy for temporary and furnished accommodation. (Remember - negotiate prices - play landlords against each other if need be - reasonable price per week you're looking at 280 - 350 per week.

Another popular place with Pomies is Albert Park (expensive area however) - close to CBD, Albert Park lake, beach (bearing in mind Melbourne ISN'T famous for its beaches!!!) (what I mean by that is that they are pretty average for those that you expect to find in Australia).

Another area is Clifton Hill (central, good for train connections, not far, nice accommodation... shops, restaurants, coffee shops etc) - Preston which was mentioned earlier is not bad, but there are nicer areas for similar prices.

Shipping - I can have a look at the flat packed boxes we used - they were reasonable and bear in mind you will see your stuff 6 or 8 weeks later if shipped by boat. You can fly stuff over too if need be.

Jobs - get on the web, get on SEEK, search, get a feel for the job market. There are certain times which are better than others for certain jobs (for health it seems to be Jan-Feb - don't know why). Signing up with agencies is also an idea for now, but save all the small talk for once you get here. Most Aussie employers are more willing to 'talk' once you are actually here...

Hmm, I think I tried answering most of your questions, but fire away if there is anything else you think may help!!! :)

Congrats to visas and have fun selling your stuff on eBay - you'll be surprised what some people will pay for what you consider junk - but you need patience and time to pack and send (say keep it to weekends)...

All the best,

Ian & Maya

Guest Jassop

Hi everyone, I'm just about to lodge my 457 as have got a job offer in Melbourne!! We are hoping to move out there mid October, would love to make some contacts, also looking for any advice anyone has!! Xxxx

Hey Ian & Maya,

Thankyou for all the information, Ive added you to contacts hope you dont mind!:smile: Were really excited, am just in the process of applying for my nursing registration 'Ive not told my work yet'..... so that should be fun!haha

We keep looking at the houses, and places to live and they all look really expensive but we will try and barter them down!! what are you both doing for jobs.....

How are you finding it making friends? are people friendly? Its a scary move, but were hoping it will be worth it in the end!

Look forward to hearing from you both

Abbie & Peter

Hey Abbie, Peter AND Hamish...

congrats on visas, we've been here since January this year and have had our emotional ups and downs but its all good. :)

There are many cool areas to live in Melbourne (Yarraville is where we lived for our first 6 weeks - very funky, youthful place) (this was booked through AirBnB - look up on Google, put in Melbourne - handy for temporary and furnished accommodation. (Remember - negotiate prices - play landlords against each other if need be - reasonable price per week you're looking at 280 - 350 per week.

Another popular place with Pomies is Albert Park (expensive area however) - close to CBD, Albert Park lake, beach (bearing in mind Melbourne ISN'T famous for its beaches!!!) (what I mean by that is that they are pretty average for those that you expect to find in Australia).

Another area is Clifton Hill (central, good for train connections, not far, nice accommodation... shops, restaurants, coffee shops etc) - Preston which was mentioned earlier is not bad, but there are nicer areas for similar prices.

Shipping - I can have a look at the flat packed boxes we used - they were reasonable and bear in mind you will see your stuff 6 or 8 weeks later if shipped by boat. You can fly stuff over too if need be.

Jobs - get on the web, get on SEEK, search, get a feel for the job market. There are certain times which are better than others for certain jobs (for health it seems to be Jan-Feb - don't know why). Signing up with agencies is also an idea for now, but save all the small talk for once you get here. Most Aussie employers are more willing to 'talk' once you are actually here...

Hmm, I think I tried answering most of your questions, but fire away if there is anything else you think may help!!! :)

Congrats to visas and have fun selling your stuff on eBay - you'll be surprised what some people will pay for what you consider junk - but you need patience and time to pack and send (say keep it to weekends)...

All the best,

Ian & Maya

Hey, thats great news what job are you going to be doing? Are you coming alone? I ve added you as a contact! would be great to keep in touch and tell us about your move!

Just over 6months until we get there, exciting times xx

Abbie & Peter

Hi everyone, I'm just about to lodge my 457 as have got a job offer in Melbourne!! We are hoping to move out there mid October, would love to make some contacts, also looking for any advice anyone has!! Xxxx

Guest Jassop

Hi I've got a job at the Peter Mac cancer institute, I was over the moon to get it! Coming over with husband and 2 kids, lodging my 457 this weekend so the planning and organising has started! What are you hoping to do? Will stay in touch and let you know how it all goes! Xx

Wow thats great, am hoping to stay in the ICU! my hubbies just passed his MCSE so, will start applying after christmas! Do you recommend just applying for jobs earlier, our flights are booked 6th march, so we have a way to go yet! Ive just googled Peter Mac's looks good how did you find out about it, are you nurse/doc?? xx

Hi I've got a job at the Peter Mac cancer institute, I was over the moon to get it! Coming over with husband and 2 kids, lodging my 457 this weekend so the planning and organising has started! What are you hoping to do? Will stay in touch and let you know how it all goes! Xx

Guest Jassop

Hiya, did you mean you work in ICU?? Will you be looking for clinical work? I am a research doctor and work in clinical trials and my new job at the Peter Mac is in this area. I spent a week there in July and it was amazing! I saw a job advertised on seek and applied an it all went from there really. They couldn't have been more friendly and supportive and we can't wait to get out there!! What sort of work does your husband do? I would start applying after Christmas as that would be perfect time for when you move in march. Stay in touch and I will help you out with job searching if I can xxxx

Wow thats great, am hoping to stay in the ICU! my hubbies just passed his MCSE so, will start applying after christmas! Do you recommend just applying for jobs earlier, our flights are booked 6th march, so we have a way to go yet! Ive just googled Peter Mac's looks good how did you find out about it, are you nurse/doc?? xx

Guest Cassjam

Hi Hamish, small world!

Cassie and I (from the OnTheGo tour to Egypt back in 2007) are heading back from London to Sydney in November.

We are looking through the whole "what do we bring, who do we use" things as well. Added factor of a three year old and one year old too.

Congratulations on the impending new addition too

Cheers

James

Archived