Crime in Alice Springs

Guest WishIdneverleft

Guest WishIdneverleft

The Northern Territory Government says it is 'horrified' by the spate of attacks blighting Alice Springs, which included the alleged sexual assault at gunpoint of two European tourists.

NT Police say they are determined to track down the perpetrators of the alleged assault and are holding a 17-year-old boy in custody, but they say they believe three men were involved in the attack.

In a separate incident on Wednesday night, a 43-year-old male tourist was allegedly attacked and robbed as he walked across a bridge at about midnight.

After discussions with the Police Commissioner and the Alice Springs Mayor, NT Chief Minister Paul Henderson said it was time for a zero tolerance strategy to get troublemakers off the streets.

"All of us have been horrified by these attacks, particularly the violent sexual assault on two young European tourists in Alice early yesterday (Wednesday)," he told the Legislative Assembly.

"I'm absolutely committed to see our police force bring the perpetrators to justice.

"Today I have tasked the Police Commissioner to personally take charge of this operation. I'm serving notice on people whose only reason for being in Alice Springs is drinking and trouble making; you are on notice.

"I'm also warning anyone aiding and abetting these troublemakers in getting grog, you also will be targeted."

Audio: NT reeling over Alice Springs crime wave(PM)

Alice Springs Detective acting Superintendent Travis Wurst says at about 4:00am on Wednesday, three men allegedly attacked the two European tourists who were sleeping in their vehicle parked on a road in the south of the town.

"This is an extraordinarily serious assault, you would never see a more serious assault unfortunately and as a consequence we are throwing every resource that we have in Alice Springs at this particular investigation," he said.

"The male offenders have broken into that vehicle and subsequently sexually assaulted the two female occupants of the vehicle.

"The information suggests that there was a rifle produced during that assault and that was used to facilitate the sexual assault."

[h=2]Too little, too late[/h]Police continued the search on Thursday for a stolen car they believe was used in the attack. They say it is possible a firearm might also still be in the car.

But the Country Liberal Opposition say it is too little, too late.

The party's Adam Giles, whose electorate is in Alice Springs, says the small town is facing a growing number of social problems.

"I would have liked to have thought that the Police Commissioner was already in charge of law and order," he said.

"Alice Springs in the middle of Australia is undergoing a crime wave of massive proportions. Being so remote, people aren't aware of the situation that's there and we need support to address our law and order issues."

Mr Giles says he fears these incidents will also hurt tourism in Alice Springs, which is already struggling.

"The crime of two European tourists being raped allegedly at gun point in Alice Springs is an appalling situation and it is an appalling example of our town," he said.

"We have to get in control of those situations. Unfortunately 11 years of Labor; they can talk tough now but it's too little too late; we need a change of government so we can institute the rule of law."

Tourists the ABC spoke to in Alice Springs had not heard about the attacks, although they said they were already taking precautions, particularly at night.

"It's really bad when those things happen but if I just stay home and wait for nothing to happen, I don't see the point in doing that," said one male tourist.

"Before you come here they kind of told me that I should be careful and Alice Springs is kind of a very scary place to be," a female tourist said.

"I didn't really feel that way when I arrived here, just obviously when you're out at night time you use your common sense, you don't walk by yourself.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-03/nt-horrified-by-alice-springs-crime-wave/3990024"

a real shame. I didn't realise though that they would need a change of government to enforce the law. I thought the police could do that currently, but I guess it's easier to blame someone else for doing a sloppy job. Still, I'm all for a change of government!

Guest The Pom Queen

It is the same everywhere, you won't find any city (large town) that hasn't had any crime at all. What you do find though is because there is not much other news they do make it the front headlines.

Hope the girls are ok and have got over their ordeal, what a terrible thing for them to go through, I hope they catch the others involved in this crime, I would like to know if they were aboriginals?

Archived