The Barossa Valley or The Coromandel Valleyor stay in the UK due to excellent primary school

jewels&john

Hi everybody,

Just wondering if there is anybody out there who knows "were is the best place to bring up an 8 year old boy".

My husband has been offered a job in The Barossa Valley, but I fancy living more in the Coromandel Valley areas.

I have it in my head that The Barossa Valley is isolated, when I have checked out the schooling there doesnt seem to be much choice, the schools seem to be Primary only, not all the way through to high school.

In the UK my little boy is in the most fantastic school ever, its in the top 3% of all the uk.

I am worried as my little boy also has just been diagnosed with Subtle Asperges, would his education suffer living in such a country side location, or would we be better around The Coromandel Valley, we particulary like Flagstaff Hill, Aberfoyle Park, Blackwood, Stirling areas, also they are a bit closer to Adelaide CBD, and the beaches.

Any advise or information would be so greatly appreciated as we need to move on things pretty soon.

So confused!!!

Hello and welcome. Most of the people in and around Adelaide tend to post on our sister site, Poms in Adelaide. You may be better off asking over there for areas to live etc. Also a few teachers and people with great experience of the education system in SA/Adelaide post there and could help you with specifics and schools.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/forum.php

FWIW, education wise, I doubt you'll find a school that is in the top 3% for the entire country in Adelaide, but you can find some very good ones I am sure. Keep in mind that your son won't always be attending his current school and would be moving on to a senior school at some point. There are some fab senior schools in Adelaide (state and private) and some very good primary. Keep in mind that education in Aus is different. Not worse or better, but different. They start school later than in the UK and often people notice that UK kids moving to Aus are 'further ahead' in their education but fail to allow for the later starting and that the system is different.

As to would your son be better off in a quieter setting or a busy one, you know your child best. Many children with Aspergers prefer quieter situations but you can do plenty with regards to how and where you choose to live and what school you place your son in. I don't understand the thinking a childs education might suffer in a country setting as I am a rural kid and had no problems here in the UK. But then 'rural' Aus is different to what we think of as rural. The areas you are considering are all still within a decent distance of Adelaide itself and the CBD although maybe not for commuting on a daily basis. I don't consider any of the areas you mention to be rural in the Aus sense. Not outback rural or anything anyways ;)

It really boils down to what you want from it all and where the work is. You need to live somewhere suitable for your husband to commute to his job and that has a decent choice of schools and so on. Not only at primary level but senior (which is where it really matters and the hard work kicks in). So consider a wide range of things when trying to decide.

• 1 month later...
Guest Mikeworksatdual

Jewels and john

The Barossa has great schools and more so a great community. It is not isolated at all there is many towns in the district and there is an expressway that gets you to Adelaide in 40 minutes drive. There is at least 2 private schools that I am aware of and the public schools also support a fantastic school community. Corramandle valley is also cool but id stay clear of aberfoyle park.

Archived