Electrician

Guest The.Lawcants

Guest The.Lawcants

Hi all

I posted in Poms in perth but have not had any replys yet. My OH is an electrician and predominantly does domestic work. Were at the early stages of our application so a long way to go yet. Anyway weve been looking at the job market in Perth as thats were we would like to settle and there seems to be a lot of electrical work in mines /underground. This is obviously high voltage work so we were wondering if anyone has any advice with regards to practical courses my OH could complete in the uk to broaden his opportunities in Oz. We have looked at HV Switching but not sure if this is the best one to do as there are so many others to choose from. Any advice would be welcomed.

Yours

Jane :unsure:

Guest Tom the Pom

I'm in the same boat - I'm a sparky heading for Oz (not Perth) and too looking for mining work.

It's true you will first have to gain your licence - 16 week course with exam (the waiting list is another matter - I've heard 18 months mentioned).

Till you get there you won't know for sure what is required so you will be wasting both time and money based on on misinformation.

Guest sneaky

Firstly. to save yourselves a **** load of time, get yourself an ARTC certificate as an ELECTRICAL MECHANIC before you get to OZ.

This is virtually the same form as the TRA application which you will have sent in in the early stages of your visa application.

Getting the ARTC certificate is a very important step, as it will save you a lot of time if you need to work as soon as you get to OZ ( can take up to 3 months )

The only problem is you need an Australian address for the ARTC cert to be posted to. They wont post it overseas:goofy: so if you can, use a friends or family address.

Thats the easy bit done......

When your in Oz, you need to apply for a 'Permit to Work'

But first you must take a CPR (resuscitation) course, and get a Blue Card (site safety card)

Both these are compulsary, and you need to provide proof of both.

So, if your still with me:wacko:you can now work SUPERVISED on a permit to work (**** money too)

The next step is gaining your electrical licence.

This involves a college course im afraid. It covers all your basic theory ( volts drop, max demand, etc..) all the stuff you forgot years ago, and a practical test. ( 2391 comes in handy for this if youve got it )

There are several ways of doing the course, which you can chose the best to suit you at the local TAFE ( college ) they all take roughly 6 months and cost $1200 ish.

Its a lot to get your head round, think i started rambling half way through:realmad:

If you need any help, i will do my best. Send me a PM.

Good Luck.

Sneaky

Archived