Just returned from a month in the UK and .......

Somgirl

Thought I would share it with you guys. As I posted previously the trip back to Somerset from Heathrow was lovely. The countryside was so green, with many fields of bright yellow rape seed.

I am lucky to be able to stay with my daughter and her partner when I return, and I had a lovely welcome from their Tibetan Mastiff puppy!

We are in Oz on a 457 visa and still have a property in the UK which is tenanted. Our first set of tenants had moved out (our decision) and I had a small window of 2 days to get in to see the house before next tenants moved in. The house was generally tidy, showing some signs of wear and tear (nothing major) but you could tell from smells that 'another woman' had been living there.

Some people have said that you wouldn't want to move back into your old home when it's been tenanted, but I honestly think within a short time, it would feel like 'home' again. We are in Oz for a two year secondment, and the plan is to move back in there on our return, September 2013.

The time went very quickly with an endless round of meeting up with family, friends, old work colleagues, lunches out, glasses of wine etc ...... I even had a few days down in Dawlish in a caravan with my best friend, her daughter-in-law and grandchildren. The weather was rubbish, but it was great to spend time together doing things with the kids, and with my help the eldest even managed to win two nights in a row with children's bingo. The result was a huge ice-cream sundae as big as her head, and a free trip to Diggerland!!! not to be sneezed at!

It was lovely to spend time with my daughter, and we had lots of trips out including a brilliant shopping trip to Exeter, always good for a visit. My trip home coincided with the Queen's Jubilee, so I managed to gate crash her street party for the celebrations, (my daughter's not the Queen's) and a good time was had by all. It was quite a patriotic time to be home, with things like this going on, I felt the mood in the country was upbeat despite all the problems, and watching the flotilla of boats on the Thames and the concert outside Buckingham Palace was a real feel good factor!

I managed two days in London to catch up with my son and meet his new partner. She is really nice, and I walked my feet off for two days, visited various London branches of Costa Coffee (always wonder why they haven't made it over here?) lunched in Nandos, had a cruise on the Thames (felt like the Queen)and a lovely dinner at Giraffe! The following day was a walk around Regents Park and London Zoo, by this stage I was running out of steam!

The remaining time back in Somerset was spent tying up loose ends and preparing to return ...... having the last whatever ..... because I knew it would be a while before I could have it again. Special Birthday and Anniversay cards left for soon upcoming celebrations, for which we will be on the other side of the world. Oh and one last thing, just a little bit of shopping .......

Having returned to Oz late last night, I opened the curtains this morning to rain, grey clouds and a rainbow, and I turned the central heating on for the first time! :biggrin:

Archived