Choosing an area

perfectmax

Hi everyone

Myself, the husband and 3 children are going to be arriving in Oz in February. We are going to come over in August to check out areas etc and my parents have very kindly offered to have the kids for us for about 11 days so we can fly in and see which areas we like and visit some schools.

So my question is - we are definitely going to live in Queensland. We have no idea where though. We have been to the Gold Coast which was nice for a holiday but it doesnt feel like it is the place we want to settle.

Our main priority is work for my husband in sales or management of warehousing I suppose but a massive priority is schools for our children. I will also need to work at some point as a secondary school teacher and this has led us to look more closely at Brisbane.

Does anyone have any idea of the best state primary schools in Brisbane or outside of Brisbane - ideally within an hours drive of the city with access (within 20 mins of a beach but closer if possible)

At this point ALL advice would be very gratefully received.

Sian & Danny

Have also put this in the reccie forum too to maximise potential viewers and answers :biggrin: sorry!

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Sian and Danny

Wow I wish my parents would take the kids for 11 days lol. Have a wonderful time, there are quite a few members around Brisbane so hopefully they will be along soon to help.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GeorgeD

I haven't a clue about schools unfortunately, but there are a number of distribution centres/warehouses in in the following suburbs...Archerfield, Acacia Ridge, Rocklea, Darra. I have few customers in those areas, most of whom are wholesalers distributing across Australia. There are some big centres over there. Generally speaking, commuting into the city is OK, commuting across the city is a real pain. If you work in the CBD, live anywhere, if you work in the North, live in the North, if you work in the South, live in the South.

We have been living in Newmarket on the North Side since March and absolutely love it here as it is close to the city but also great for going to either the Sunshine Coast or the Gold Coast. We have two kids aged 8 and 6 who are at Newmarket State School which is a small school where everybody has been extremely welcoming - feels like we have been here for years!

We chose this area because of the transport links and also because of all the local parks, local outdoor swimming pool etc and were thinking of the fact that once we settled the kids we didn't want to have them move school again.

I have noticed whilst job hunting that there are usually lots of teaching positions advertised in the Courier-Mail so hopefully you shouldn't find it too hard to find work.

What ages are your kids? You will find tables for schools if you google and I'm sure that there are links posted in the forums boards.

Archived