Temporary visit - Register with Centrelink, Tax Filing Number, Medicare, Open bank account?

OZAllan

Hi All,

I have obtained my PR visa in 2010 and I have visited Australia to validate my visa in 2011. I will visit Australia for 2 weeks again in August 2012. Could you please advise whether I should register for Tax Filing Number, Medicare, Centrelink and Open bank account during this temporary visit. I plan to emigrate to Australia permanently before my visa expire in 2015. Many thanks.

Cheers

Open a bank account by all means (you can even do that from abroad you just have to pop into a branch in Australia to activate it). Don't do the rest however. You'll be tax resident in Australia once you have your TFN and any Medicare/Centrelink registration will strengthen that. You don't want to have to start filing australian tax returns before you have to (nor paying the extra tax if the Australian rate is higher than what you have already paid). In addition the date of your medicare registration could have an impact on the cost of your medical insurance (should you decide to have it). You have something like 12 months from the date of your medicare registration to obtain a reduced rate on your medical insurance (after than an age related loading applies).

Archived