public transport in Brisbane

Maruska

Hi,

I just looked for the info on ferry/train/bus service and it seems that the network covers the city well. Anyone has any experience using public transport ONLY ? ( probably not getting a car right away). Is it reliable, on time etc? I saw that the network extends all the way to the Sunshine coast and Gold coast. It looks like getting a GO CARD is a good thing? Please share experience:biggrin:

Well I don't even drive and manage just fine, but it does depend where you live! I depend on buses as don't live near a train station, they are frequent enough but can be slow in traffic but that will change next week when the new northern busway opens! Buses tend to be clean and quiet, my experience in Scotland was chips and bits of pasty all over the floor and tinny techno music from phones, so it's quite an improvement!

Go Card is great, and when you've used in 10 times in a week the rest of your journeys are free until Monday morning, and that changes to 9 journeys soon so even the Friday commute home becomes a freebie :o)

Guest GeorgeD
Hi,

I just looked for the info on ferry/train/bus service and it seems that the network covers the city well. Anyone has any experience using public transport ONLY ? ( probably not getting a car right away). Is it reliable, on time etc? I saw that the network extends all the way to the Sunshine coast and Gold coast. It looks like getting a GO CARD is a good thing? Please share experience:biggrin:

A Go Card is absolutely essential. Some services don't take any other form of payment (such as the City Glider bus service which does a loop from Teneriffe to West End) There has been talk in the press of busses stopping taking cash entirely. I think you also get a slightly discounted rate when using a Go Card.

I don't use Public transport for work as I need my car to drive to appointments during the day. I do know people who work in th. city and use Public Transport every day. It's fine if you work in the CBD and will be commuting at normal rush hour times. There are Busways in and out of the city. At rush hour there are express busses which go along these routes into the CBD. They seem to be frequent and quick. They run along a dedicated road (so not a lane on a normal road shared with cars), so traffic isn't an issue until they hit the city itself, and the busway goes very near to the city before it shares normal roads.

As for trains, where I live we don't have a train station near us. Where we used to live, our station wasn't served by express services...which meant you had to get the normal service, with 22 stops into the city! It spent more time sitting at stations than travelling between them. A guy in my office comes to work by train and he generally has no problems.

City Cats are quick and frequent...but if the weather is bad they sometimes don't run at all...the river can be a bit choppy.

If you are going to be working in the city, you won't want to take your car anyway...the cost of parking is horrific! You could easily be $40-$60 per day. Our company is 10 mins away from the CBD. If we have meetings there we get a taxi in and out. It is much quicker, and no searching for a space, and if you are going to be there for 2 hours plus, it is often actually cheaper!

Thanks, I am planning to stay reasonably close to CBD but will hopefully get a job in one of the hospitals. The commute would therefore be in opposite direction from all the traffic heading to CBD. Parking fees sound awful:confused:.

Thanks, I am planning to stay reasonably close to CBD but will hopefully get a job in one of the hospitals. The commute would therefore be in opposite direction from all the traffic heading to CBD. Parking fees sound awful:confused:.

I like the trips on the ferries

My friends live at Cleveland and it is the end of the train line. Did the trip into the city not that bad, however if you are working shifts sometimes public transport does not fit in.

Guest GeorgeD

Some hospitals have staff parking rates. My wife works in St Andrews and pays $8 (I think!) per shift to park in their car park.

Archived