What are the advantages/disadvantages of motivating your children?

Guest MarieTyler

Guest MarieTyler

Hello friends,

I am doing a project on a woman named Maria Montessori. She was a physician and researched children. One of her theories was that children learn better with motivation. What are the advantages/disadvantages of this? If you could help me with one of her other theories? Her other theory was that teaching children's things that were age-appropriate would help them learn better, what are the advantages and disadvantages of this?

Best regards

Marie Tyler

hi marie,

I am a montessori trained teacher and she was a amazing woman.... the first female doctor in italy. One of her main theory's and books was the absorbent mind, this follows that childrens minds are like sponges and when feed the correct information they learn... she also believed in sensory learning ie we learn by seeing touching and hearing and smelling things for ourselves, and there for she created items that incorporates this. I have seen her work in action and loved being a montessori teacher... the true goal is to create learning activities that have each child so engaged in what they are learning that you can hear total silence in the room. I have seen it twice :)

by the child being totally engaged with what they are learning for them selves, the advantage to this is a child who wants to learn, who seeks out learning opportunity's and wants to develop. Also maria believed in the individual child and that they all learn at their own pace therefore the advantage is that no child is compared to others or expected to keep up with others... hope this helps but get back to me if you want to know anything else :)

Guest whc2012

I still remember at my young age, I tend to learn when my parents forced me to do so. So I was a child of dependency type, where my motivation came from competition and peer pressure. But when I admitted into university life, I found out that some of my course mate who really learned not by motivation but their enthusiasm into the subjects. They said they were used to play a lot in their childhood and couldn't find the interest of study, until their met with something. That thing could have naturally brought them the attention and motivation to learn. So it's all about finding out the interest and reason behind the motivation. Don't just force and give them blindly the motivation which they do not want to be.

Guest MarieTyler
hi marie,

I am a montessori trained teacher and she was a amazing woman.... the first female doctor in italy. One of her main theory's and books was the absorbent mind, this follows that childrens minds are like sponges and when feed the correct information they learn... she also believed in sensory learning ie we learn by seeing touching and hearing and smelling things for ourselves, and there for she created items that incorporates this. I have seen her work in action and loved being a montessori teacher... the true goal is to create learning activities that have each child so engaged in what they are learning that you can hear total silence in the room. I have seen it twice :)

by the child being totally engaged with what they are learning for them selves, the advantage to this is a child who wants to learn, who seeks out learning opportunity's and wants to develop. Also maria believed in the individual child and that they all learn at their own pace therefore the advantage is that no child is compared to others or expected to keep up with others... hope this helps but get back to me if you want to know anything else :)

Hello friends,

Many thanks for sharing your information, Really I am highly appreciated.

Best regards

Marie Tyler

Guest littlesarah

Surely there is published research that evaluates the effectiveness of learning activities? The schooling system divides pupils by age, which suggests that the 'age appropriate' viewpoint is likely well established/accepted, though this is not my area of education so I'm not familiar with the literature in this area.

Archived