Petrol prices - big swings

freebo

On Friday morn we filled up on ULP at 133.9c, passed the same servo 1 hour later price was 151.9, 18c jump or 15%! This would have been another $10+ on the fill.

We use motormouth emails to get best price in the area but there seems to be a "cycle" whereby prices gte put up before the weekend or especially during holiday periods, does anyone have a good handle on what the cycle would be, we spend $100 pw on fuel so its worth shopping carefully!

Guest JK2510

In Perth Wednesday is a good time....apperently it used to be Tuesday's...there was an article on the news a while back about the petrol price cycle.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

It's static here in the Uk at present, based on average wages, it equals roughly $3.50 a litre, going up again though soon.

I would agree tues/weds usually the cheaper days, I pulled into the servo last week and was told on the tannoy to replace the nozzle and the price shot up 15c per ltr. I use $300 a week of fuel and luckily my employer pays for it, one good thing is with fuel here if oil drops in price we benefit where as the uk just seem to keep inflating the price!

Australia has a bizzare price cycle with petrol, but not with gas or diesel. The cycles also vary in length and even though there's no price fixing or colluding, they all raise and lower their prices together. No organisation is able to explain the reason for the price cycle.

Gas (LPG) jumped up nearly 50% within about 5 weeks after Xmas, the excuses were; there might be a war somewhere in the middle east (Iran this time) and it was cold up North. Well it's not cold any more and there was no war with Iran, but prices haven't dropped to any where near what they were. Also the government is adding duty to LPG now, 2.5c/l at Xmas gave a 10c rise and there's 5c/l in July which will probably give a 20c rise when carbon tax is added on top.

It's getting expensive to run my 5.4 V8 on gas, but not as expensive as running my wife's Renault Scenic on petrol!

Archived