RSVP - internet dating

Guest The Pom Queen

A friend of mines sister used it whilst she was in the UK, she met this guy online who worked in the mines and was loaded, she flew over to meet him and let's just say he was in to very weird things and she was worried for her life. Now not all dating sites are going to be full of mutters and I'm sure there are some wonderful people out there.

RSVP is OK but it's been set up so that some people can access it without paying any money. It's free to join - just like it's free to look at a menu in a restaurant - but if you want to speak to someone, you have to buy so-called 'stamps', which are a rip off. I don't mind paying for them, especially when it is me who has made the first contact, but I resent it when other people seem to expect you to pay.

I would much prefer a system where everybody has to pay a set, monthly fee, after which you can contact anybody and they can contact you. I hate to bring 'gender' into it but it's a fact that many women still expect the bloke to pay for the stamp and expect the bloke to make the first move. I don't mind that but I thought society was supposed to be more and more equal, and even if it isn't, there are plenty of women who earn more than blokes.

As far as actually MEETING people, well that is easy enough but getting past the first date is another story! It gets a bit dispiriting after a while. I start to think 'why bother?' I usually arrange to meet in a pub so that if, or rather WHEN, it goes wrong, I can just stay in the pub and have a few more drinks so the evening is not totally wasted! The one unexpected thing that has happened to me is that I have made some good, platonic friends

One of my daughter's friends has met quite a few of her guys on there, but that says something in itself.

http://www.eharmony.com.au is always advertising and I think you have to pay for this one.

My daughter met her oh on the net but not on a dating site on a site that she frequents to do with music as its one of her interests. They spoke for months and months before meeting up.

Guest nigel77

try okcupid its totally free. and dont worry, I dont think theres as much shame in it these days. everyone i meet is using one site or another.

I'm on Plenty of Fish and Oasisactive, both of which are free. Meeting a lady from POF tonight in fact. I've not heard of 'OKCupid' but I know there are loads of sites, some quite specific. Eharmony? 'Review your matches for free!' What use is that! As I said before, like being able to read the menu for free!

For me, it's just one of many ways of meeting people, and not just for dating. Making new friends is just as important.

I know a couple that met through RSVP and are now getting married. I've met all my friends through the Internet not dating sites but other sites that share a common interest ie: this site. :) good luck I'm sure your dream girl will come along soon.

Archived