Mortgage Broker Qualification

Guest LeahD

HI

I am a qualified Cemap Mortgage Broker and am in the process of moving to Australia, I have gained my VETASSSESS points for my visa through my previous experience and qualifications as a HR Manager. I have since become a mortgage advisor in the UK and passed Cemap 1, 2, and but am now wondering whether these qualifications are going to be recognised for me to continue in the mortgage industry in Australia. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks L

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Leah

Welcome to Poms inOz.

You have not divulged the answer to the $64,000 question, lass, which is "Which State do you want to live and work in?"

If you are interested in WA then our PiO Member BullcreekBob is your man. He is a mortgage broker in Perth. I'm not sure whether we have Members in other States who could help with this too.

But let us try narrowing the search down, shall we? Do you have any preference for a particular State, please?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest BullcreekBob

G'day Leah

As Gill states, more info is needed before an accurate answer can be given.

However as a general guide, the qualifications you have will not be recognised anywhere in Aust and they will be of absolutely no use. The experience you have gained in dealing with people and lenders will be useful though.

The qualifications needed vary from state to state (as Gill said). In some states at the moment, no qualifications are needed, just accreditations from various banks and lenders. In some states a Certificate IV in Finance broking is required. In WA the Cert IV and additional studies are required along with State government accreditation through the Dept of Consumer Protection. There are moves afoot to introduce a national standard based on the WA requirements however, that is still a while off and if you're not careful a Sydney taxi driver will try to sign you up for a mortgage as you leave the airport.

If you want to work in Mortgage Broking over here, it's fairly easy to get into; however as all the Government legislation on Consumer credit, commercial lending, privacy, disclosure, trading regulations, etc is different from UK laws and that banks here have very different approaches to lending than UK banks; all your UK training is irrelevant.

thanks to the both of you, Gill and Bob for your quick replies. It is WA and Perth I will be moving to so Bob's advice as he is working in that state has hit the mark. I didnt realise each state had different standards for the job, I will have to get used to that when I move over!

But at least now I know that I need to consider doing the certificate in finance IV course if i want to continue in the mortgage field when I move over. Cheers

Leah

Archived