im struggling to get a nurse job in Melbourne

ashley83

Hi

Iv spent last 5 or 6 months applying for jobs in Melbourne that will sponsor me for a 457 visa. Iv already got my letter of eligibility from AHPRA, but in all that time iv only had 1 interview which i wasnt successful in. I work in a general surgical ward here in uk and never thought for a minute that id struggle to find anything. iv registered with a few agencys and i check on seek.com daily. Has any1 any other suggestions that may help me?

thanks

Ashley

Hi

Sorry should have mentioned iv 6 years experience. yes, Iv emailed a few hosptials direct (public and private), but mainly im applying for jobs through agencys or seek.com. Dont know if the fact i havent a visa is making it harder for me?

I only mentioned the experience as some nurses are very eager to get to Oz and have minimal post-reg experience.

I don't think that not having a visa will affect things that much - lots of nurses from the UK go out on 457s and you can't get one of those without having a job (chicken and egg lol).

In my household (3 of us of working age) we have found that Aussies are very laid back and particularly slow to respond to e-mails. You might have more success if you ring and actually talk to a real-life person rather than leaving things to chance and hoping that someone looks in their inbox. E-mails can always be left to another day but a little harder to ignore when the person is right there on the phone :laugh:

I only mentioned the experience as some nurses are very eager to get to Oz and have minimal post-reg experience.

I don't think that not having a visa will affect things that much - lots of nurses from the UK go out on 457s and you can't get one of those without having a job (chicken and egg lol).

In my household (3 of us of working age) we have found that Aussies are very laid back and particularly slow to respond to e-mails. You might have more success if you ring and actually talk to a real-life person rather than leaving things to chance and hoping that someone looks in their inbox. E-mails can always be left to another day but a little harder to ignore when the person is right there on the phone :laugh:

thanks for the advice. i will start phoning as well as emailing.

Let us know how you get on , good luck x

thanks will do

Another option i was thinking about is going over on a working holiday visa, however my husband is over 30 so he wont be able to work (he can look after kids). Does anyone know if it would be a lot easier for me to do that and obtain a sponsor on a 457 visa whilst im in Melbourne ?

Hi ashley83

In the UK my nursing job is quite common, however in Oz this kind of job is very much 'up and coming' so I really struggled to find anything that matched what I currently do to where we wanted to live (due to family living near by). Therefore I decided to look in other areas of nursing which I knew they are short in and all of a sudden received many interviews and offers. If you are definate you want to live in Melbourne I would also look at private employers and a wider range of clinical areas.

Archived