Moving to Point Cook ..... advice on schools and different groups for children needed!!!!

Guest Caroline87

Hi Kentkids,

I am just harrassing everyone that I can find who is willing to shed some light! We are arriving in Point Cook at the end of August. Although Seabrook has this fantastic reputation, I don't think we will end up there as we would like to live in either Alamanda or the Salt Water Estate. This means we are zoned for Carranballac. Although we would be able to change to the new school next year if we felt it necessary. I don't however want to be unsettling my kids so much. We are coming from an extremely high pressured education system in Belgium, and it seems that we are heading towards the exact opposite. If I read the homework policy I almost break out in hives. How well are the kids prepared for university if they are never expected to actually study, or set any kind of formal homework? Is this the case?

I have also just read the face book page and now I am REALLY starting to worry.

HELP!

AJR

The no homework policy is a bit misleading! My 10 year old has homework every day, 8 year old 3 times a week and even my 6 year old has to do a written book report once a week. The oddest thing is that here they all come home and choose to sit down and do their homework properly. Back in the UK it was always a last minute.com scribble! The school seems to have instilled quite a competitive work ethos.

S

Thanks Kentskids. I am hoping that I will make the right decision for my kids, as we have to organise a rental from Belgium. So they pretty much have to go to school where ever it is that we end up, without first being able to really sus out the areas and schools.May I ask which grades your kids are in? According to their age groups my kids would end up in year 2 and 4 this year. But they would be the youngest as their birthdays are very near the cut off date. Not sure I want to go that route.

10 year old in year 5

8 year old in year 3

6 year old in year 1

Two older kids same as uk, youngest was in year 2 in uk but due to birth date and cutoffs now in year 1. The school have been excellent as they see that she has done some bits before, so are catering to her higher requirements.

seriously, dont panic.

We have lived here for two years, not seen a hooner, nor had a break in etc etc, however its a new area, and new areas attract crime... I would never recommend anyone move from one side of the world to the other without seeing what they are moving to first anyway. Please dont forget that Point Cook is huge and covers a massive area, these facebook comments are made my few from an area of many.! (thousands).

Agree with others though, things are very hard with traffic and infastructure, but that is being addressed. Yes you need a car, especially if you are in saltwater as that is way way out of the loop for buses, and shops etc. they are building new shops at Sanctaury lakes at the moment, Seabrook is close to the railway, a new station will be soon at the top of Palmers, so a house around there would mean walking distance to town centre and railway station.

Good luck with your search.

seriously, dont panic.

We have lived here for two years, not seen a hooner, nor had a break in etc etc, however its a new area, and new areas attract crime... I would never recommend anyone move from one side of the world to the other without seeing what they are moving to first anyway. Please dont forget that Point Cook is huge and covers a massive area, these facebook comments are made my few from an area of many.! (thousands).

Agree with others though, things are very hard with traffic and infastructure, but that is being addressed. Yes you need a car, especially if you are in saltwater as that is way way out of the loop for buses, and shops etc. they are building new shops at Sanctaury lakes at the moment, Seabrook is close to the railway, a new station will be soon at the top of Palmers, so a house around there would mean walking distance to town centre and railway station.

Good luck with your search.

• 6 months later...

Hi Caroline,

We are moving over very soon and are also looking for schools for our 7 and 8 year old plus I have an 8 week old and want to find some groups etc.. in the point cook area

Did you end up finding a descent area and good school? if so have you any tips???.

I'm going crazy trying to find areas! Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Hazel