New Builds - Stamp Duty

jamjar

Hi

I have read a lot of posts saying that the new houses can get pretty expensive once you start doing all the upgrades - in fact they can very quickly get up to the $100,000 mark.

Does any body know if you buy a house at $499,000 (generally below the stamp duty level for most states) and do a $100,000 of upgrades with the builder. Bringing it up to $599,000 - do you have to pay stamp duty now or can some how work it that you avoid it as the house was origianally below the $500k

Thanks

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Why don't you ask the builder mate and then check with the solicitor who will be handling your paperwork. I thought it was paid at the $500k mark as well.

Why don't you ask the builder mate and then check with the solicitor who will be handling your paperwork. I thought it was paid at the $500k mark as well.

Not there yet, just trying to do some costing, hopefully someone who has been through the process will be along soon

cheers

Hi

I have read a lot of posts saying that the new houses can get pretty expensive once you start doing all the upgrades - in fact they can very quickly get up to the $100,000 mark.

Does any body know if you buy a house at $499,000 (generally below the stamp duty level for most states) and do a $100,000 of upgrades with the builder. Bringing it up to $599,000 - do you have to pay stamp duty now or can some how work it that you avoid it as the house was origianally below the $500k

Thanks

Have a play around on this calculator - it should help. Be aware that stamp duty varies from state to state.

http://www.echoice.com.au/mortgage/home_loans?pn=/info/home_loan_calculators/stamp_duty.html

:-) It's all a rip, hence the reason I am asking if there is anyway to avoid or reduce it.

If you build the stamp duty will be reduced significantly. However, building can sometimes cost more than purchasing an existing property so you may end up spending more anyway.

Perhaps it is just one of those things you are going to have to pay if you want a home of your own.

Archived