vetassess electrician practical ...a run down of the day

Loulouhew

Hi, i have just compeleted my practical assessment. i wil just share before i forget.

4 parts of assessment.

1 theory and 3 practical.

i have got 24 questions multiple choice answers. try to attend them all even if you are not sure.

i am repeating the same advice i got from this forum. get the kitchers book " electrical installations calculations basic'' and '' advanced''

most of the questions is covered for this assessment.

series, parallell resistors, inductive reactance, capacitive reactance and transformer simple calculations.

no need to worry about remembering formulae. there is a sheet at the end of your assessment sheet covers most of the formulae. just understand from your book before you appear.

the books is available in ebay or you can download for free.

end of the book there are some questions like '' if you get to buy a fridge the manufacturer sticked a star signs.what does it mean? multiple answers. correct one in energy saving.

so complete the book going through, theory is not vey tough. easy and play lucky with multiple answers.

second part pure DOL starter. during theory paper you may asked to draw wiring of the 3 phase motor to start or delta configuration.no worries.

then there is board fitted with all contactors start button and stop button and overload.wire it with banana plugs and complete the circuit. show to the assessor and if he is happy he will ask you to take a walk and put some fault like loop the off button or change the sequence of start and overload.

choose the wire colors unique to understand easily once the circuit become faulty. or some times he may ask you add parrallel and one more stop button to stop.

so understand dol clearly. i tried practically before i attend.

third part disconnection and reconnection of room heater or fan.

go through the guide and remember all the points for this assessment. do not forget anything. i did mock trial at home for couple of days before the assesment. i video graphed my activities and see again and corrected it.this part is the most umportant one very much looking for the safety aspect.

i got a question rom assessor what is the miniumum allowable value of insulation resistance for the heater. i said infinity and argued should be no value to ensure safety. god knows which way he took it.better take your meters with you.coz. need to write the scale you choose, i wrote my meter is in auto and then i corrected to 500v for insulation resistance and 200k ohms for resistance. so plan ahead and practice.

then comes the practical installation with pipe and sockets and lamps.

a board fixed over the wall and drawing has been given with the dimensions.

like 500mm sheilded cable coming out of the main DB and going to lamp and the lamp can be opearted by staircase wiring with two switches and offset of pvc conduit up to 50mm. and the rigid pvc pipe as per dimension connected to a socket and mind all the earthing points. later you will be measurig insulation resistance with the assessor and put on the power and light has to be on off by assessor then he will take a video and photograph of your work. he wll be asking you to rip the wire to see the connnections so do not pudh under the carpet. do it nicely and you will have plenty fo time.

before this you have to draw the staircase wiring on a assessment paper he will inspect before ask you to do the practical. all tools were provided. but screwdrivers better tou use your own.i have got all the tools and i did not look for any tools so it was aving a lot of time for me.even i helped others with my tools.i will try to draw the diagram and post it later.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Louise, although this was a while ago, do you think you would be able to email the information please? I am just putting all my documents together to send off to the TRA, any help on whats to come would be very useful. Thanks alot

Thanks

Mat Wheeler

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, New to the Forum. Just wondering if there is anyone who have sat the Practical Vetassess Exam recently? I have mine at the Blackburn Center at the end of may and was wondering is the format had changed from last year. - See more at: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/176147-need-help-your-vetassess-electrical-practical-assessment-my-experience.html#sthash.UhHqGldj.dpuf

• 3 weeks later...

Archived