vetassess electrician practical ...a run down of the day

Loulouhew

hi all

my husband did the practical yesterday in London and we found lots of helpful info on here and from some individual posters so thought I would post his experience so that it may help others!!

the day started in the main hall about 40-50 people all different trades, then we were sent off with different assessors.

started in the classroom checking passports and paperwork. we were first given some risk assessments to fill in nothing too complicated things like

task- use of hand tools

risk involved- cuts and bruises to persons using tools

method to reduce risk- person to be competent in using such equipment.

you are asked to complete 3 or 4 of the tasks so have a few ready to put down. quite basic stuff though.

we were then given the multiple choice questions. you need to get 4 out of 5 questions right in each section 4 sections in total. plenty of time to complete them but if like me you left college 20+ years ago you want to put some revision in , there were lots of circuit calculations, resistors in parallel + series so revise OHMS law

u = 1 x R

revise the formulas for parallel & series

and practice examples

there were a few power questions RMS values

power (watts) = voltage (volts) x current (ampres)

P = U x I

power factor etc

inductance in a circuit would hold back current (lagging circuit)

capacitance would hold back voltage ( leading circuit)

transformer ratios

one or two on 3 phase power .

from there we went to the workshop just the same as in college your own work area to begin the practical. all materials laid out on table and you just take what you need consumer unit rcd mcbs screws conduit etc...

as your getting on with that she calls you to do other part disconnection reconnection process or the DOL starter once you have done that you return to your work station and carry on .

now the tricky part ( for me anyway)

DOL STARTER

you have to draw a circuit for the DOL starter

get to know the symbols for each part etc

then will then ask you to connect it altogether with push in leads and you can put 1 lead into another for the self hold contact in parallel on 11 connected 13 and 12 to 14 as the diagram shows. you then have to go away and she puts a fault on it. so its just a matter of checking each lead to the diagram or just pull them all out and start again. having the diagram i was emailed will help you make sense of this part please pm if you would like a copy i can email it to you ( big thanks to stephen derby for this :biggrin:)

I was really stressed about this part as I dont work with DOL starters but having now done it and also having a diagram emailed to by another poster on here it was very basic stuff

there is also another diagram for the layout of the practical task which can be emailed aswell .when carrying out the practical there are set dimensions you have to stick to such as distance between switches , socket heights and lamp holder positioning check your dimensions draw it in pencil on the wall.

you have to carry out continuity test and insulation resistance with a megger and record results and if they pass or fail. They then connect a power lead up to the consumer unit to check it all works.

Get to know the disconnection and reconnection process by heart they are very strict on this. you have to talk them through what you are doing and you cant miss anything out just remember check voltage tester at known source first and then again after each time you use it. she was helpful and prompted you but would not tell you what to do

They do have tools there but looks better if you have your own, only used safety boots and took overalls hat gloves and goggles but didn't need them .

was finished by 4pm then they rang me to say I hadn't completed some paperwork so i rushed back and it was just a questionaire !!!

so just have to sit and wait for the results, in the next 10 days. if you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will pass on to my husband

good luck all

Louise

Guest samedwards22

Hiya Louise please could you email me both pieces of information on the practical assessment, this would be a great help

Kind regards Sam Edwards

Guest samedwards22
Yes no problem Sam just pm me your email address !

Louise

My email is

''e-mail removed by mods''

Thankyou very much

Edited by calNgary

• 2 weeks later...

hi there could you please send me that info, i am just waiting for a date for my practical assessment (as a spark), i have my head in books every break at work trying to prepare myself as much as poss !!! thanks for your time. P.s did you take your own testing equip ?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest phouston1

Hi any chance of sending me a copy of the diagram for the dol starter and the layout of the practical task please as im sitting my test on the 20th of june and am really worying about it. thanks

Edited by calNgary

• 3 months later...

I know this will sound daft, but am going at the end of the month (I'm a bricklayer) did you OH drive down, and if so, was there parking? I'll be driving down from Cheshire that morning (setting off about 4am) will have a load of tools with me and just hoping there will be parking on site (it says not but thought I'd ask). Thanks in advance

I know this will sound daft, but am going at the end of the month (I'm a bricklayer) did you OH drive down, and if so, was there parking? I'll be driving down from Cheshire that morning (setting off about 4am) will have a load of tools with me and just hoping there will be parking on site (it says not but thought I'd ask). Thanks in advance

He went up by train the night before ....bit of a pain with all his tools but managed to fit his tool box in a little suitcase with wheels!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
hi if i could get sent them aswell that would be great

can some one tell please what to expect from vet assess electrical practical exam or mail me some drawings i dont no what will come or how the exam will be i am very afraid

Edited by calNgary

• 3 months later...