any scots familys in geraldton, wa

Guest gerry22

Guest Guest51968

We moved to Gero in November. If you want any help or advice we'll do our best.

have 2 boys 13 & 11.

oh and ship your stuff if you can. It's bloody expensive here for decent ish stuff

Mark

Hi Gerry and mark, thanx for the offer of support - its good to know there's help and advice there if we need it. We fly out on 1st july, still waiting on being told where our house is, when I find out u could maybe let me know what the area is like

Hi Gerry and Mark, can u tell me what the work situation is like in Geraldton? I have a job to go to but my husband will need to find something when we get there. He's a painter and decorator - is there a demand for this do u know?

Thanks

Anne

Guest Guest51968

Hi THere are lots of jobs in the local papers and 2 or 3 temp agencies... Can't tell you specifically about painting and decorating but there are 4 or 5 house building companies in town.

What visa are you out here on - we are on a 457 and my wife has had no problem getting a job - She just needed to say that she had unrestricted work conditions in her covering letters. Oh and get TAX file numbers ASAP online as soon as you get here

Mark

Hi Gerry and Mark, can u tell me what the work situation is like in Geraldton? I have a job to go to but my husband will need to find something when we get there. He's a painter and decorator - is there a demand for this do u know?

Thanks

Anne

Guest Guest51968

Hi Annie, no problem just let us know where they have put you and i'll fill you in...

If you get Rangeway or Spalding they are definate no, no's !! mosts places are lovely, some have the odd bad spot or two. We live in the new part of Sunset Beach (North end of town and love it here) all depends what you are looking for really.

Mark

Hi Gerry and mark, thanx for the offer of support - its good to know there's help and advice there if we need it. We fly out on 1st july, still waiting on being told where our house is, when I find out u could maybe let me know what the area is like

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Wer also coming on a 457 visa so hopefully my hubby will get a job no probs as he will have unrestricted conditions too. I got an email this morning stating they are in the process of securing a 3x2 unit in Beresford, is that a good area? We don't have a back yard which is disappointing but they said its just a short walk to the beach.

Have u and ur family settled ok Mark?

Anne

Guest jhutton

Hi Annie Lamb.I believe you are a nurse als.Where are you going to work(ie what hospital).Can you tell me how long your 457 visa took?I believe you apply on line and send you documents that way.How long did it take for themt o get back to you about the medicals and then how long after the medicals did you hear back?Can I have your e-mail as I am getting a bit scared about the move. and would like to communicate with some one who is already there.

Guest jhutton

Did everyone get a medical done? and how long did it take visa to get passed from medical being carried out?

Hi Jhutton, I'm a social worker, not a noise and therefor didn't get a medical (I think it's only nurses that are required to get these on 457 visa as uk is considered a safe country). My 457 took 5 days to be approved after submitting, it was very quick. I applied and attached my documents online. Send me a pm with ur email address n I will help u I. Any way I can :)

Guest Guest51968

Hi Anne. Beresford is a nice area, close to CBD (Central Business District or Town Centre in English) although area is mostly older style properties. I wouldn't worry about the back yard too match - as correctly mentioned most of Beresford 5 minutes walk from Chapman Road which runs along the sea front and is a stunning view.

And yes we've settled really well, although i think it helped that the kids dived in to all the sport going and my wife picked up a job very quickly as well. One thing I would say is don't come over here expecting ''A hot England" its not at all. Australia although of english descent isn't like England (apart from the language and driving on the left). Life here is a lot different, as is the lifestyle and what Aussies do for entertainment.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Wer also coming on a 457 visa so hopefully my hubby will get a job no probs as he will have unrestricted conditions too. I got an email this morning stating they are in the process of securing a 3x2 unit in Beresford, is that a good area? We don't have a back yard which is disappointing but they said its just a short walk to the beach.

Have u and ur family settled ok Mark?

Anne

Archived