Bundaberg, gladstone or rockhamton

Guest lovinoz

Hi

I am hoping to find some info on bundy, gladstone and rockhampton mostly just what they are like for raising kids, work etc any opionons experiences or advice on the good and bad of the areas plus other qld cities/towns ie mackay, townsville top of sunshine coast etc would be so great! thanks:biggrin:

Guest michaelh

Hi,

We are hoping to move near to Bundanerg, the climate is good, not too cold in winter and not too hot in the summer. No stingers in the sea hopefully unlike Rockhampton. Turtles nest on the beach at Mon Repo. The town is solid economically with steady growth, a bit like an old fashioned American cowboy town. People are really friendly and you can still find somewhere to park when shopping in town. Diving is good straight from the beach in Bagarra. We like it.

Michael

Thanks so much, bundy is the top of the not so short short list (although we are slowly narrowing a few favs) so far its looking like a lovely place but i havent found much info on the economy there so that is really good to hear, have you been there? we dont have the money to do a holiday and a move so we are moving without going fiirst , when we decide where..bit scary and always great to hear other ppls thoughts!

We moved to Gladstone in January and love it here. But it wouldn't suit everyone.

There is a huge amount of industry here: the alumina works, the biggest power station in Qld, the port, cement, and loads more.

I believe that the air is tolerably clean and has stayed within safe limits for a full year of constant monitoring, it will now be tested less frequently and the full year figures used as a guideline.

One of the things the industries have done to keep the locals sweet is invest huge amounts of money on parks and open spaces which are very well kitted out with free bbqs, exercise equipment etc and cleaned by their staff! The parks are used for various festivals through the year and we have really enjoyed the community spirit.

It's a small city and we can never go out without seeing someone we know, to at least say "hi" to. Also, most people we meet know our family who have been here for many years (that has helped us to settle, but we aren't in their pockets at all!).

No real beaches in the city, but Tannum Sands is only about 20km away and is gorgeous (that too hash been "poshed up" by local industry.

Many good schools. Our 13 yr old goes to a very small Christian school and we are all very happy with that.

We go to Rocky for shopping. We have the basic shops here but for good furniture prices we have to go up there. Only about an hours drive. Nice for a day out.

I wouldn't want to live in Rocky. My mother grew up there but I would hate to lie there. It's usually 1C hotter than Gladstone with none of our sea breezes. It has a bit of a feral feel to it, I think. However if we could live in Emu Park or Yeppoon and find local work I would do it.

We have not been to Bundy yet although our son just got back from a week long school camp there and he says it was lovely. Certainly the postcards he bought look great. More rural, I think. Sugar industry (and the rum!!!!). Could probably find out a bit more for you as one of our cousins kids live there.

Do pm me if you want any more info. Glad to help - but would HATE for everyone to want to move here!!!!!! The small feel of the city is what I like.

Oh, must be honest - we do suffer some of the downsides of "regional living". We have a hospital with a poor reputation (that, alone won't put me off, as I know that these things don't necessarily mean anything) and have to go to Rocky for some surgery etc, however major stuff and radiotherapy etc has to be done in Brisbane. One of our friends has had a long course of chemo, and now has a month of radiotherapy so has had to arrange flights from here to Brisbane and accommodation (I think with hospital help, not sure) for a whole month and has had to arrange child care for her 4 kids for that time etc. Shocking!

But apart from that - we really do love it here. Regularly see dolphins on the bay.

Hi buddys mum thanks sooo much for your reply, cos we can not afford both a look around up there and then a move as well ( not in the same yr and im far too keen to leave the cold winters behind to wait longer!) its really great hearing what people who are there or have been there think, i had done alot of digging on the net and the only thing that concerns me with gladstone is the lack of health care as my son has 2 neurological conditions so it looks like we'd be traveling to rocky for app's however its only a few times a year and like you say its a nice day trip there. In Adelaide we drive about 40 mins to get to the hospital anyway so i guess not alot of dif....and prob alot less traffic!:yes:

so hard to chose im really keen on Bundy, Rocky does seem to have more work options for my partner so i guess Gladstone is the inbetween with alot of industry there. How is it for less major health care are you pretty well covered in Gladstone for the less major health probs? that is very sad that your friend has to leave her family to go and get treatment its a shame the health care isnt offering more for her there i hope it improves in the near future as it sounds like a great place otherwise.

Thanks again we are very grateful for all the help we can get in making such a huge decision!

Guest michaelh

Hi,

Yes we stayed in Moore park just outside Bundy for all of August to see what the winter was like. We have bought some land to build a house on and just need Visas now. It seems to me that the area is whatthe Gold coast used to be like 10-15 years ago, fairly quiet but growing, substantial shopping malls on the edge of town, a recently expanded airport to take larger jets, you fly to Brisbane quite cheaply in under an hour. The schools seem good especially the private ones, there seems to be lots of coordinated activities for the younger ones. My kids are older teenagers and can't wait to get there as they love their watersports. Bagarra is quite posh but Moore Park is more laid back with a 4wd beach. There seems to be a lot of house building still taking place, land is quite cheap with the council releasing land allottments for sale via their website at a reasonable price. I think it is a slowly up and coming place, I just hope it doesn't grow too quickly

Hope that helps

Michael

Thanks michael that does help as hubby was really keen on the beach suburbs and that sounds really nice! do you mind if i bug you with another ?? how did you find August there was it warm? we hate the cold lol so a warm winter is a very nice bonus! i think rent prices in bundy seem pretty reas too. will have to look into the land prices as it could well be a good investment!

Buddysmum...

Im loving the sound of that! Im fed up with the cold winter here and not keen on any more of it....looking forward to sunny QLD! thank god for google maps as its been such a help to be able to do st views etc to try and see what a area is like as best we can ;) i notice alot of blue skies on google st view up there ......:wink:

Rains a lot in summer though!

One good thing is that we don't have the same water shortages as Brisbane.

The rain is fine if its warm while it pours ;)

if you are able to find out anything regarding bundy from the people you know who live there could you please throw me a PM? we really just need to make sure its ok for work...gladstone certainly looks great in that area! and is nice for kids... and again both places seem pretty good on that too but its so good to find out from as many people as i can so we can gauge a good overall impression of the places on my LONG list lol thanks so much for your help.

Hubby works while i homeschool the kiddies cos my son has a few probs, he will happily do what ever is going, hes had years at meat works and as farm hand/tractor driver etc so alot of rural background ( which im hoping wil be of help to us up that way??) seed and grain etc too, he has also been doing storeman/warehousing job here and just recently went back to day shift at a landscape supplies place so pretty much the dirty work lol....hes a kiwi from a rural background so hes pretty much a what ever he can find guy!

well we have decided at this stage ( work pending) we will be heading to bundy next year :yes: very excited after far too much time on the net trying to decide where we would head ( and thanks to everyone on here for there help and also in the dilemmas thread ) we think that is the place for us.... although in the end (with our ever changing looong list) Mackay was a close 2nd! of course if anyone still can offer any info on Bundy we will be very grateful at least now we are not going crazy looking thru the endless options of beautiful places to raise kids that QLD offers! talk about spoilt for choice but thats certainly not a bad thing! :biggrin:

I spoke to Shae, aged 14 and she loves living in Bundy. She says the air does get a bit smelly with the burn offs but that it is a great town to grow up in with some really good schools.

I hope you will love it there. Qld is a fantastic state to live in. We keep seeing videos and photos of wonderful places and then we realise that we live there!!!

Great i just keep hearing only good things about the town. i homeschool my kids but i am looking to put my oldest daughter (will be 11 when we get there ) back into school once we are there so its great to hear good things about the schools! well if a 14 yr old isnt complaining about where they live thats got to be a good sign ?! I think it hasnt really hit us that we are "really living in oz "even after a year cos we fell in love with QLD and i think it will hit in when we get there! nothing against sa its lovely here its just not what we know we really want. ...not to mention im in 3 layers today...bring on the warm!

Thanks again :wubclub:

Archived