Is Matthew Pearce Primary school that good???

Guest caty0606

Guest caty0606

Hi everyone. We're thinking of moving to Sydney early next year and would like to ask about primary schools in Sydney. I've heard that Hills District has lots of good schools and Matthew Pearce is the best among all. Has anyone heard about this school to back up or known anything about this school? We haven't decided exactly where we are going to live but Hills area seems very attractive to us with its environment. Our child is 7 and we currently live in Hong Kong. Our child is very academic and she goes to so-called best selective school here. We plan to send her to a public school rather than private ones in Sydney. If anyone knows anything, not just about Matthew Pearce but any other good primary schools, please do share. Thanks!!!

Hi Caty and welcome to PIO

As you say, the schools in the Hills district are all good. I would not say that Matthew Peace has a reputation as the best school in the area though - although it is one of several good schools. Glenhaven public school is also excellent and people apply from far and wide to get their children in there. Iron Bark Ridge is a small but good school aand there are many other.

What Matthew Pearce does have is an Opportunity Class in years 5 and 6. Not all the children in the school get to go in this class - it is exam entry only and 100s of kids from around the area will sit an exam and only the elite get offered a place. It is aimed at the very bright kids to push and challenge them. Dural school also has OC classes....there will be a list of these schools somewhere.

One thing to consider though. The Asian culture is very much a culture which pushes their children academically and sends their children to tutoring outside of school, so the OC classes tend to be full of mainly Chinese children. This in itself if not a problem, however socially, for a non Asian child this could be difficult. I know you are coming from Hong Kong, but even so, unless you yourselves are Chinese and have that as a cultural background and speak chinese, your child will find it hard to integrate,unless there are other caucasian children in the class. Several years ago my daughter was offered a place in the OC class at Dural. We went to the open day and she was the only non asian girl ion the class. She decided (and people were completely shocked as it is not the done thing to turn down an OC place!!) to stay where she was rather than accept the place. Please understand that this is not a racist point of view at all, her social wellbeing was what we were concerened about. We have no regrets about doing this and 2 years later she got a scholarship to a private school.

Hope that helps. If you want any more info please shout.

Love

Rudi

x

• 2 weeks later...

Archived