hi im new to this, how will i cope.

Guest kelly

hello, my husband and i have been talking about moving to oz for years, he is a carpenter and really wants to go. i have spent the last 3 years making my mind up and finally said yes. our children are 9 and 6. my problem is that i do want to go for the same reasons as most,eg. better life for our children to grow in and more time together as a family as my husband works most hours of the day and night here and we dont spend hardly any time together. we live in essex and i cannot let our 9 year old out to play as it is just not safe.

however i have a younger sister(only by 3 years) and we are so close we should have been twins. she is extrmely close to the kids and they treat her as a big sister and i dont know if i can leave her. we have filled in our forms but not sent them yet, my sister wont talk about oz but said i should do what i think is best for my family but i just dont think i can live that far away from her, it breaks my heart just thinking about it, what am i to do, she is my only reason to stay here,but there are so many reasons calling me in oz. please help :!: :roll:

Guest dwaldron

It's only a day's flying away and with the cost of phone calls coming down and the advent of widespread internet use you're never far away.

Guest clare and pete

hi kelly

I dont know if i will help you or not, but i just thought id drop you a few lines of encouragement.

Myself and my partner have just recently just moved out here. like you i had many of the same feelings with leaving family behind. i am very very close to my parents especially my mum. even so we live next door to them ha ha. shes not only my mum but shes my best mate and we share everthing. when this opportunity came up, it was too good of an opportunity to miss, only if i could have bourght my family too, but we had to think of ourselves and our future. i used to live in aus many years ago when i was a nipper so i know exactly how much you miss your family. thats the only draw back. but i always think, im not gunna stay in aus forever, i just take one day at a time and that helps me. it is a long way from home but boy its great here and soo worth it. it takes a lot of guts to up and move from the uk, and if you dont do it, later on in life you will regret it.

well i hope i have given you some kind of hope.

Clare x

hi clare

thanks for your message of encouragement it did help. i will just have to take the brave pill and go for it. my kids deserve a better life and they are not going to get that living here. your right, it does not have to be for ever. where in oz are you? how long have you been out there. could you recomend a good area to bring the kids up in, we just cant decide where to settle, it all looks so nice, as my husband is a carpenter we obviously

need to go where the work is for him. thanks again.

kelly :D

Hi Kelly.

I have been trying to get out to Oz for over 2 years, if it wasn't one thing it was another that delayed us. Well we are finally going, we will be leaving for Brisbane in April 2007, I can't wait. My dilemmmmmmas were that my little boy is my mum and dad in laws' only grandchild and they love him to bits, my middle sister has 2 children of her own, who we will miss but she won't be able to come out as much as would be liked, because of the cost. My little sister, well I can't think about that, same as with my mum. But this has been a dream for so long that I don't want to not go and always regret not having done it. I know that it will be hard, but I have to go for it.

Like you said, just think of the life you will all have. And like you I think about my little boy, I want just the same as you, for him to be able to grow up without the constant threats we have here in England.

As all our friends keep telling us, the wonders of modern technology enable us to see and speak to each other at the same time now no matter the distance.

But also remember you do have to think about yourself too???!!!

All the best take care.

Lisax

hello lisa.

thank you for replying, it does help to know im not the only one. I feel that my sister thinks because ive decided to go that that means i dont care as much about her as she does about me and that kills me. she is my best friend and i see her nearly every day. I am just as close to my parents but they have encouraged me from the beggining and want the kids away from here for a better life, where as i cant talk about it to my sister as we both burst into tears, but i am going to do it i owe it to my husband who works every hour god sends for us and i owe it to our kids to give them the best start in life we possibly can.

good luck with the big move :D

let us alll know what its like. oh by the way any tips on do's and dont's

im so jelous.

all the best

kelly :D

Guest clare and pete

Hey there kelly,

reguarding places to go, i can only tell you were ive lived. firstly the sunshine coast.... it beut, its like a mini version of the gold coast. it really depends what you want out of it when you come over. the sunshine coast, your pretty central reguarding, brisbane airport and the beaches are just lovely, plenty of work too. i havent been back for 7 years, but i have relatives who live there and they say its grown sooo much. the gold coast also is lovely, much much buiser than the sunhine coast, but personally i prefer the gold coast, only cus i like it real busy, also its very touristy, but you get used to it. ive also lived in brisbane, which is a very cosmoploitan area, only thing i dont like, its bit far from beach. lived in Sydney for a short while and its a fab place, i always reccomend people to visit sydeny and as for work, you would have no problems, but its a city and its very hectic but it has a great feel to the place.at the momment were living in Coffs Harbour, south of Brisbane in NSW. were just here for 6 months then heading to brisbane. its easy to listen to peoples views on certain places, but you have to suss them out yourself. try and find websites dedicated to certain areas that you may be interested in and go from there.

P.s have you applied for immigration yet? or you just thinking about it?

Clare :lol:

hi clare.

we are going to use an agent, have filled in the forms just have not beeen brave enough to acually post them yet, major case of nerves, but my husband has waited 3 years for me to agree to go so a few weeks more wont hurt. thanks for the advise, we have never been(apart from hubby going to sydney for three days to watch rugby world cup final) its so hard to know which area to go, we were looking at adelaide cause we know people there and they said it was lovely but so many people said dont go its to know what would suit us.

thanks again, take care

kelly

hello of course you can be nosey.

we are in the fantastic friendly and safe environment of dagenham.(sorry for the sarcasm but i hate it here, gets worse daily)

where are you from, any where near. where are you now. whats it like out there

kelly

Archived