Is Maidstone nice for families? Is it easy to find childcare in Maidstone?

Laiane Dethling

Hi there,

My husband and I will be moving to Melbourne next year and we liked what we read about Maidstone and we're really considering it. We have a daughter who will be 2 when we go. The question is... Is it easy to find childcare in the area? Are there long waiting lists? or not?

Also, how's it to libe in Maidstone? Is it a good suburb for families?

Thanks a lot.

Not really familiar with it but its close to Sunshine so will have older working class housing. Have a look on the City of Maribyrnong Web Site its the council site that covers that area. Its also close to Flemington and Footscray. So very cosmopolitan and typical inner Melbourne working class suburb, probably could be being gentrified, you would have to have a look around before making a decision.

Maidstone is not a good area. It is mostly run down housing and factory/warehouse property. It is cheap and close to the CBD - and unusual combination and there is a reason for it. Look, some day the area might get gentrified and people with property there will be like lottery winners. But I don't see it happening soon, and would personally prefer to bring up a family further out. Even Footscray, which also has a bit of a bad rep, has advantages of good shopping, food and a community spirit. Maidstone has none of that.