Shipping Holden back to the UK

gabbycat

If we can't sell our Holden Cruze in the next 3 weeks we are considering shipping it home to the UK. We're having trouble getting insurance quotes on it as it is a grey import. Has anyone shipped a car as a grey import in to the UK, and can you recommend insurers?

RH Insurance are pretty good with personal imports and modified cars, i insure my '78 US import camper with them.

As has been said, are the parts interchangeable with any vauxhalls? if not you could be setting yourself up for hassle. Also if its a big engine car, it will be crippling on fuel in the UK, it seems there is pretty much nowhere that doesnt have traffic jams anymore. and the road tax is a killer if its got high emissions, from memory over 279CO's is now £500 per year.

Even my 2.5 BMW is now £280 per year.

With second hand cars so much cheaper in UK then Aus, and factor in that your Cruze is not a rebadged model that sells in the UK, I would have thought it is too much hassle in terms of cost and future servicing and sale. Taking a hit here may still be better.

Had an MR2, S2000 and Hilux. All imports. All modified.

No issues with most insurers, apart from the price.

Adrian Flux, Sky & A-Plan were the main providers I went with.

I'd trade the Cruze in on a new Commodore VF and take that though.

Edited by Bibbs

With second hand cars so much cheaper in UK then Aus, and factor in that your Cruze is not a rebadged model that sells in the UK, I would have thought it is too much hassle in terms of cost and future servicing and sale. Taking a hit here may still be better.

I had hoped Chevrolet were doing a similar model. Although still not common I imagine.