cost of living

Guest lorna2610

Guest lorna2610

hi we have just had our 175 visa application lodged and i was wondering if anyone could provide me with information on the following, we have found this info for perth but if you could let me know what it would be like for adelaide that would be great

• Mortgage = $23,328 *
  • Council Rates (City of Joondalup) = $1408
  • Water Rates = $840
  • Water Usage Charge = $250
  • Building Insurance ($325,000 cover) = $550
  • Contents Insurance ($89,000 cover) = $360
  • Electricity = $1,200
  • Gas = $575
  • Phone = $1450 ^
  • Broadband internet = $480

Total of these housing costs:

$30,441 per year = $2,536 per month = $585 per week.

* Mortgage - $300,000 (about the Australian average) at 6.06% variable interest rate on a 25 year repayment basis, repayments are $1944 per month, or $448 per week.

Link to a Mortgage Calculator at MoneyManager. ^ Phone - comprises a landline service and locals calls with Telstra, calls to Mobile and international with iiNet, our broadband internet provider. We also all have mobiles, which are not included in this. We could almost certainly rationalise all this and save money.

Thanks Lorna

Guest migration angel

Hi Lorna,

There is some great help and info from imigration SA here's the link Make The Move :: Home

Regarding cost of living Perth v Adelaide.

You won't buy a family home for less than $400k in Perth and those are few and far between. Eating out and shopping are cheaper in Adelaide too.

Another factor to consider is interstate travel which is more expensive from WA.

Otherwise I would say the household bills should be on a par.

Perth is a great place to live though!

• 1 year later...
Hi Lorna,

There is some great help and info from imigration SA here's the link Make The Move :: Home

Regarding cost of living Perth v Adelaide.

You won't buy a family home for less than $400k in Perth and those are few and far between. Eating out and shopping are cheaper in Adelaide too.

Another factor to consider is interstate travel which is more expensive from WA.

Otherwise I would say the household bills should be on a par.

Perth is a great place to live though!

Tell me if I'm missing something but looking on the Real estate websites and new house/land packages it seems you can get a decent family 4x2 house around the Perth area for $300-350k ??

Archived