What are the best things about living in Sydney

Guest Emmap

Guest Emmap

Hello Folks,

We're moving to Sydney to live in September from London, just wondered what ex pats such as yourselves have found to be the benefit of living in Sydney.

Guest CatandPaul

Hi myself and my wife moved to Sydney in Feb and I have to say it is such a easy to get around City with every thing you could want at your finger tips. Shopping, eating, drinking, beaches a short journey away and the sites all close by. We are now just looking to find a new rental but are aiming to stay close to enjoy the atmosphere it has to offer.

Guest yvetteb1

we are not in sydney yet but are going in june and i am having serious wobbles at the moment about going, but i just though i would let you know why we decided on sydney (it will help me remind myself too!!!)

we need a big city for my OH to get a good job (software engineer) and although i am concerned that we may struggle financially for a while, i know there are lots of plus points. we are a young couple (no kids yet) and have always lived in or near cities so we feel that sydney will give us the nightlife, restaurants, museums ets that we have always been used to. we lived and worked in sydney for 6 months a few years back and we really enjoyed it. i know i would feel too homesick if we moved somewhere too rural, maybe in a few years when we have kids and have got used to oz, but for now we think the city life will suit us more and not give us too big a diff in lifestyle, while we get settled. if you want city life then i think sydney is for you, but at least if you rent for a while you can keep your options open. we've got to give this a go or i know we will reget it for the rest of our lives!!

Hello all

At last, some other positive people heading to Sydney!!

Me 34, Mrs 29. I've been offered a job, just waiting for a contract through, company getting me a 457. We're getting married in June, hopefully in Oz by July.

We too keep wobbling. We're not making the final decision until the contract is in my hand, we keep having a worry about family, leaving friends behind etc. And my dog! Up and down like yoyo's at the moment.

One of my other concerns is that if one of us doesn't like it and we have to come home, what's it going to be like trying to get our lives back in UK.?

But I guess you can't worry about 'what if's?' or you'd never do anything.

We're heading that way because...

I've got a cracking job offer

Weather

Both love cosmopolitan life, I lived in London and we both live in Bristol at the moment.

both love the idea of having access to beaches, sea

i like sailing and the occasional bit of fishing

Fiancee is permanently cold in UK!

Like the environment for bringing up kids (haven't got any yet though).

I've been looking at the property sites. At the moment I think we'll live pretty central to make adjusting a bit easier - Balmain, Glebe, Paddington, Double Bay, Woolahara. And then once we've scoped it out will head to somewhere like Manly. All subject to change though as we'll have a better idea once out there.

Could maybe hook up for a beer later in the year?

Guest Emmap

Hi to you all,

Thanks for the replys.... just wanted to let you all know that you really have nothing to worry about moving... i think!!!

Im English and my partner of 10 years is from New Zealand... a few years ago we moved from England to Wellington in NZ, i wasnt to sure when i was there...its normal...its a very big culture shock, just ride it out!!!!!

Anyway we came back to England and have been living in London for nearly three years now and now its me that has made the choice to go back to the other side of the world!!

Martin always wanted to live that side of the world, he just had to wait for me!!

I can honestly say that i cannot wait to go now... i can fully see the way to a better life is to live over that way.

I havnt lived in OZ and am looking forwards to living in Sydney but just wanted to let you know that it really is a better way of life over there!!!!!!

Just got my 5 year visa through as well this week!!!!

Dont worry about it, trust somone who has lived that side of the world.....its 1000 % better than here!!! It just took me three years of crushed tube rides and freezing weather to realize it!!!!

Better than never though!!

• 1 month later...
Guest feline

Blue Sky, Big Sun, lower cost of living, less stress and pressure both in the office and for school children as well.

We are moving back to Sydney this September. I am English and my husband is Australian, where in Sydney are you moving to?

Guest feline

Beautiful blue Sky, lots of Sun, beaches in cycling distance and of course a lower cost of living. What I found different to London life is how much less pressure people are under in the City, and it makes here look crazy. Also kids are not under so much pressure as they are in Britain, they have far less homework and not exams each year.

Guest Emmap

hi feline....

Martin has a job at Animal Logic, near the airport and near Bondi Beach.

I geuss we would like to live near to his work and to mine if possible, i work as a cafe manager so will be looking for work once over there..........any great advice needed!!!

We are flying out on the 24th June.....i cannot wait to go now!!!

Guest feline

Hi EmmaP

WOW! I am getting excited too, I keep looking at realestate.com.au at properties to rent. The exchange rate is so bad at the moment it could be a year before we convert our sterling to dollars and buy a house.

To be honest, Bondi, is not really a pretty suburb. When I first visited the area as a backpacker it was kind of Ladbroke Grove'ish, then I visited it again with my boyfriend in 1996 and again with my husband in 2006 and it has changed quite considerably over the last 10 years.

It has become very densely populated, lots of concrete and Brighton style cafes and car parks. It looks like an inner city beach, which to a degree it is. There is little greenery and very few trees.

During the 2000 Olympics the Government put alot of money into Manly Beach. It is lovely there, and only 15mins on the JetCat to the City. Commuting is so much easier in Sydney, more reliable and quicker than the UK.

Moving to Australia you will want a better lifestyle so dont worry about not being on your works doorstep, there are so many nice places half an hour way from where you work, and public transport is not expensive.

When you arrive, do try and visit Manly, and all the Northern Beaches stretching from Manly to Palm Beach, it is an oasis up there, lush green, continental style cafes, beach style living and do stop to have a drink at the Newport Arms in Newport.

I will try and catch up with you when I arrive in Sydney later this year. I have my heart set on Bayview, which is between Newport and Pittwater (McCarrs Creek) but am curious as to where all the expats live.

Michelle

Guest Emmap

Hi Feline,

Thanks for that reply...brilliant!!

After living in London for 3.5 years it is the new nicer lifestyle that we want.

We were looking at new builds out of the city....geuss we will just wait and see untill we get there.....not long after all!!

Will go and see the areas you have said....its always great to get positive and helpful replys........

Must away now and spend time with my dear mother!!!! shes not keen on me being so far away, i keep telling her: think of the holidays she will have!!!!

Thanks again...talk soon....good luck with all yours!!!

Archived