Applying for skilled 189 Visa

Maddy657

Hi there,

I'm currently on a 457 sponsorship visa and am looking to apply for a 189 skilled visa as a nurse.

In April this year I'm leaving to go backpacking for 6 months around the world and my question is: If I apply for the visa whilst I am in Australia (i.e before I embark) then am I still allowed to leave the country? If yes, do I need to apply for a bridging visa B in order to leave?

If you apply for a 189 while in Australia on a 457 visa, you'd be issued a bridging visa. You would apply for a BVB in order to retain the bridging visa when you leave Australia. The issue you may face is that if you leave to go backpacking for 6 months, I assume you are leaving your sponsoring employer (from your 457)? If so, your 457 may be cancelled taking the bridging visa with it. So depending on when the 189 is processed, you run the risk of not having any visa to return to Australia until the 189 is finalised.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much MaggieMay - this is super helpful.

One more question I have: If after 6-months of travelling my skilled 189 is NOT processed, am I able to enter Australia for a really short period on a tourist visa? (I ask because I have my boyfriends sisters wedding in Australia in October).

Thanks again for your help - it is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan