Thinking about moving from Sydney to Brisbane - housing comparison

Clankaroo

Hi,

I have spent a year in Sydney and although I believe the city has a lot to offer, the quality and cost of housing is in my opinion quite bad. I believe there is a shortage of housing and landlords don't maintain their properties as they can find tenants at ridiculous prices. I'm thinking about moving.

I assume the same situation applies to Melbourne but maybe this is not as bad in Brisbane. I know the wages in Brisbane are lower so I'm comparing rents taking that into account to make sense.

How would you compare Sydney and Brisbane on the criteria of housing shortage and quality/size/cost ratio ?

Thanks for your comments

Queensland is a warmer state therefore queenslander style properties are common, lovely looking but not very practical. The quality of the buildings themselves to me is not great however they can be fitted out to a high standard.

There is plenty of older stock however lots of apartments have or are being build. We have bought in central Brisbane, solid masonry under a pitched roof, quite rare for here but solid as a rock and feels like home.

Best of luck, make sure you visit and spend some time here prior to your move as Brisbane does not promote itself as the centre of everything although does have a lot going on.

As with anywhere this depends entirely on what you do. If you're in healthcare, a teacher etc you'll be better off in Brisbane as salaries are likely similar and housing costs much lower. If you're in financial services/banking I'd think you'd be paid less in Brisbane than in Sydney.