Hello, looking for advice

Ashlou

Hello,

I'm sorry if you have all read posts like this previously but I'm after some advice and help. I have just returned from a 4 week holiday to Sydney staying with family and I'm now considering moving over if possible or staying for a year from next year. I'm totally confused by the different visas and I believe the only way I could do this is to do the working holiday visa but I'm not 100% sure if this is correct. I'm qualified to work in childcare here in the UK with the qualification CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Childcare and Education, I am unsure though whether this would even be recognized in Australia and I currently work at a primary school as a teaching assistant and have done so for the past 8 years however this doesn't seem to me like I could get in on this. Does anyone know how I would go about finding out if my qualification would be recognized or if I would have to retrain again. If anyone could help me out I would be truly grateful as it just seems a total minefield to me.

Thanks

There are quite limited options for visas for childcare workers. There is chilldcare centre manager but it would require a degree level qualification as well as the management experience.

You can work in whatever field you can get a job in on the working holiday visa though, unless there are specific licensing requirements and I cannot imagine that there would be were you fortunate enough to secure a teaching assistant type role.

Edited by Bungo

Thank you. I'm not too bothered about staying as a teaching assistant however because I am unsure what my qualification would be if anything I don't really know where I stand. All my previous experience is older children however my qualification means I could work with children from babies onwards.

The thing is though, for a skilled visa it has to be a profession they need and your skill set is not required. They have the equivalent of your job over here but there are plenty of people with the training, certificates etc to fill the posts. Teaching assistant posts are also less used here. It seemed to be common place that schools have TA's in lots of classes but here it's not the norm. They tend to have them move round classes or groups, least where we are anyways.

As has been said, managerial level people are needed but you as yet don't meet that skill set.

A WHV is by the sounds of it all that is open to you. As to if once here you could get a casual job in a nursery or some such I don't know. Your qualifications may not be ones you can convert or be recognised or it would require too much time/cost to make it worthwhile for such a short time. You can be employed in most lines of work on a WHV but are limited to 6 months max with one employer. Most people do casual low skilled work or if they are skilled in something Aus want, use it as a springboard to being sponsored (which could not happen for you that I can see). I'd think you would be looking at casual work on a WHV to supplement your funds while doing the holiday. It is a working holiday visa and isn't really designed or intended for much else.

My NVQ level 2 in childcare was equivalent to an Aus Certificate iii when I got here in 2010. I completed my diploma over here and I'm now sponsored but only on the regional migration scheme is my group leader position available to be sponsored. I think your qualification could be equivalent to a diploma out here but not sure. Also not sure whether you need experience in 0-5 to obtain a 187 which is not a desirable visa for people just coming over to be tied to a regional area for two years after the visa grant anyway. Acequa used to have an overseas qualification equivalent list not sure if it's still on their website

Thank you, my qualification I believe enables me to be a manager of a childcare setting but obviously I have no experience of this so I know I can't use that to get in. The working holiday was the only way I seemed to find too as nothing fit anywhere else.

Thanks, its the experience I fall down on. I've had a quick look at the ACECQA website and I looks like my qualification is a diploma in Queensland and a cert III in other areas from what I can gather so atleast I have a rough idea on what I'm looking at for a WHV.