Maintaining rabies validity for entry to Australia

basil

My dogs had their Rabies titre (and re-vacc same day) last October.

I just want to check I understand how to keep this maintained for entry really.

Am I correct in thinking the date of the titre draw + 1 year, is the last date they can ARRIVE/LAND in Australia? Or does it have to be valid for their quarantine stay too? (ie titre drawn 20th October 2011 means they need to arrive on or before 19th October 2012?)

If it looks likely that they would not travel (we have no firm date still!) before this expires, then am I correct in thinking they need re-titring 6months before it expires? (ie titre in Oct 2011, needs re-doing in April 2012 to ensure continuous ability to travel). Then re-vacc at the 12mth mark.

Dear Basil

Yes the date of entry is key, it does not have to be valid through the whole stay in quarantine.

Ref the retesting - this is interesting. My colleague asked if a brand new rabies blood sample had to be done and AQIS said yes. I asked and AQIS said no! Basically AQIS say the rabies blood sample lasts for 12 months, so if you get a new sample done within 12 months of the first and keep the rabies vaccination current then the wait starts from the date of the first sample.

Basil - as i said we have had 2 very opposite answer for this - the safest way is to do as you suggest and re-doing it in April 2012 or ask AQIS for clarification and share your news here.

Bob

http://www.petairuk.com

Thanks Bob,

I have a few weeks to play with then to decide whether to re-do the titre at the end of April.....while I'm deciding I might email AQIS for clarification, I hope if it's in writing they will be a bit more committed to a firm response (or maybe not!)

I'm not too bothered about re-doing a titre, although it is pricey enough, but it really bugs me to have to re-do the rabies shot annually.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would update for anyone wondering the same. The answer is to repeat the RNATT before the 12mth expiry to ensure only 30days in quarantine.

My email to AQIS:

I would be grateful if you could clarify the statement below from the AQIS import instructions?:

''AQIS recognises the RNATT result for a period of 12 months from the date of blood sampling. AQIS advises retesting prior to expiry of the RNATT. The animal must have a valid RNATT at the time of export. If your animal has had previous RNAT testing and rabies vaccinations, please forward copies of this documentation to AQIS with your import permit application''

My dog has had his rabies vaccine and RNATT titre in October 2011. Due to delays in our travel plans he is unlikely to enter Australia before the 12month expiry of the RNATT blood test in October 2012. When should the RNATT be repeated to ensure continuous eligibility to enter with the reduced quarantine period of 30days? Should this be repeated just before expiry in October 2012, or would he then need to wait the 5months again to have the reduced quarantine stay? Please advise?

The reply from AQIS:

As you have advised your RNATT is due to expire in October 2012 to ensure that your quarantine period remains at 30 days you must have another RNATT done prior to the expiry of the previous one.

If you keep your RNATT up to date then DAFF Biosecurity (Formerly AQIS) will that the quarantine period start from the blood draw date for the 2011 test.