Almost there

Neil Wilshere

Hi guys ,

well after what feels like forever we have booked the flights, and will be there at the end of September.

it doesn't feel real. We are off to the sunshine Coast just in time for the summer , the summer in the UK (Wales ) has been a wash out so we are looking forward to the Australian one . Any tips for when we first arrive would be Appreciate.

regards neil .

Hiya,

We moved to Brisbane 2 months ago; however, not sure from your post what sort of "tips". Are you coming on a 189/190/WHV/ with family?

If it is what to do in practical terms would suggest:

1. Sign up to medicare

2. Get tax file number - you can do online when you arrive in Australia

3. Get drivers licence changes (takes 15 mins)

4. Sign up to centrelink for family benefits if applicable (we get partially funded after school care) (allow several hours at Centrelink)

5. Say "Yes" to any invitation you receive.

6. Enjoy your new life :-)

Hiya,

We moved to Brisbane 2 months ago; however, not sure from your post what sort of "tips". Are you coming on a 189/190/WHV/ with family?

If it is what to do in practical terms would suggest:

1. Sign up to medicare

2. Get tax file number - you can do online when you arrive in Australia

3. Get drivers licence changes (takes 15 mins)

4. Sign up to centrelink for family benefits if applicable (we get partially funded after school care) (allow several hours at Centrelink)

5. Say "Yes" to any invitation you receive.

6. Enjoy your new life :-)

we are a family of 3 coming over on a 489 visa . Thanks for the reply.

Hi, we moved over from "sunny Wales" nearly 4 years ago. As Neil said get some of the practicalities out of the way such as medicare, tax file number, centrelink, bank account. so you can start enjoying it here. My husband started working about 3 weeks after his arrival and I found joining several mums groups made it easier for me to settle in. The home sickness kicked in at around 3 months but from speaking to friends is very common. Hope it all goes well for you and that you enjoy your new life here!!!!:cool:

Hi, we moved over from "sunny Wales" nearly 4 years ago. As Neil said get some of the practicalities out of the way such as medicare, tax file number, centrelink, bank account. so you can start enjoying it here. My husband started working about 3 weeks after his arrival and I found joining several mums groups made it easier for me to settle in. The home sickness kicked in at around 3 months but from speaking to friends is very common. Hope it all goes well for you and that you enjoy your new life here!!!!:cool:

Thanks , we can't wait to get going . Hopefully I can get work as fast as you husband did . What part of Wales are you from , we are from Swansea .

Regards neil