driving licence

bigsteve71

Hi Steve,

Very easy - Download the form from the NT Licensing website, fill it in - You'll need some identification, passport, bank card etc. Take your completed form to the MVR, there are a few in and around Darwin. You have to queue up to be seen, I would get there early on a weekday morning. Take a number and they do the rest. I was in and out within around 20 minutes after putting it off for months. With your license you don't really need any other form of ID up here.

You'll get an email when you need to renew it so won't need to go to the MVR again.

Link is here for the forms: http://www.transport.nt.gov.au/mvr/licensing/faqs/overseas-licence

P.S. You have a photo taken there so make sure you brush your hair..

• 1 month later...

Hi all, my plans are to migrate to Melbourne at some point this year and need to know if my UK driving licence is valid and transferable or do I need to re-take a test in Australia, (at present I use an international re-newable licence under my partners insurance)?

If you have a full licence for car or motorbike (or both) then you can just go to a Vicroads office, join the queue, and get a Vic licence. You'll need Id, utility bill, passport etc.

If you have a commercial licence then you'll need to have a driving test to get a Heavy rigid or suchlike Vic licence.

If you will be on a Temporary visa, there is no need to get a Vic licence. You can continue to drive on your UK licence for the length of your temporary Visa. If you become a permanent resident, you have 6 months to get a Vic licence.

Edited by Suzukiscottie

Anyone know if its the same for Queensland? I'll be on husbands temporary visa & he's currently learning to drive before we go out shortly. Can we use uk lisence for the 4 years if the visa?? Thanks.

While you're in Australia on a temporary visa, you can drive on your UK licence as long as your UK licence is valid. You only need to get an Australian licence if you're granted a permanent visa and in that case, you can only drive on the UK licence for up to 3 months in all states except Victoria (6 months in Vic). After the 3 (or 6) months, you would be driving unlicensed if you drive on anything other than an Australian licence.