Exploring 2 routes to Migration

Kenfrapin

Morning/Afternoon/Evening all,

I have used this forum for a lot of information, going back to 2010, when we first seriously thought of moving from UK. Well, its 5 years later and we have started looking again which is why I decided to get stuck in and create my account :)

I wont make my first thread too long and only ask to clarify a doubt on the whole ACS assessment process. My partner has started by going through the works of getting CFA to assess her skills as an accountant/auditor/treasurer etc so if that works then great, we can make it using the 189 visa

As for me, and with many other folks working in the IT industry, you start from the ground up. So, though I have over 11 years experience within IT, its a varied mix of roles starting from the simple tester working my way up to a Senior Project Manager which is my title today (and for the last 3 years). Unfortunately my bachelors degree is in Electronics Engineering hence no points awarded for qualification forcing me to go down the ACS route. My question then : why can I not apply as a Software Engineer given I have been doing just that and getting better roles as I gain experience, instead of doing the same role for 6 years to get a very specific title such as Programmer (which is great if it were but not my case unfortunately)

Has anyone ever been in that position or know of someone in such a position?

Thanks

KP

Is your OH a fully qualified accountant? if so, it will be extremely easy for her to pass skills assessment (do you mean CPA?) and in which case the questions about you are all moot.

If you are doubting whether she can get a visa however, well I am not sure your comments on yourself make sense. Firstly, there are 15 points awarded for a degree nomatter what subject it is in and regardless of whether it is related to the nominated occupation. Then you say "this forces you to go down ACS route", again not sure what you mean. Everybody needs a skills assessment in their nominated occupation, if yours is an occupation assessed by ACS then that is what you need to do, the degree has nothing to do with it? What occupation would you be nominating?

As Bungo says, you will need to be assessed. It all depends what 'role' you want to be assessed for - I am also a senior PM, and got assessed by ACS under 135112 (ICT Project Manager) code. You need to be able to prove that you are doing and have experience in the role you want assessing for. This needs to be clear in the references and CV because ACS will need to look at your application and be able to clearly assess that you are an ICT Project Manager (or whatever role you pitch yourself at. You need to provide as much information in your references as possible to prove to ACS that this is your occupation,

Is your OH a fully qualified accountant? if so, it will be extremely easy for her to pass skills assessment (do you mean CPA?) and in which case the questions about you are all moot.

If you are doubting whether she can get a visa however, well I am not sure your comments on yourself make sense. Firstly, there are 15 points awarded for a degree nomatter what subject it is in and regardless of whether it is related to the nominated occupation. Then you say "this forces you to go down ACS route", again not sure what you mean. Everybody needs a skills assessment in their nominated occupation, if yours is an occupation assessed by ACS then that is what you need to do, the degree has nothing to do with it? What occupation would you be nominating?

Thank you for replying and apologies I have not been clearer, been doing this for quite a few months so I tend to skip over a number of things.

My degree in Electrical Engineering is not recognised by the Washington Accord and thus has to be assessed. To do this I need to go down the route of providing details I am qualified Electrical engineer, project information etc but I do not want to do that

That then leaves with my skills over the last 10 years in the IT field, but I have a question which I will post to kevsan

My wife isnt a fully qualified Accountant from any professional body. Her degree is recognised as Bachelor's of Commerce equivalent and now she has to be assessed as meeting the 4 mandatory and 5 optional core areas to be accepted as a General Accountant. She graduated with a 3 years Bachelors degree in Advanced Financial Accounting and as the degree is recognised we are hopeful of getting the result we want. This is what we are progressing as she stands the best chance of being positively assessed.

Regards

KP

As Bungo says, you will need to be assessed. It all depends what 'role' you want to be assessed for - I am also a senior PM, and got assessed by ACS under 135112 (ICT Project Manager) code. You need to be able to prove that you are doing and have experience in the role you want assessing for. This needs to be clear in the references and CV because ACS will need to look at your application and be able to clearly assess that you are an ICT Project Manager (or whatever role you pitch yourself at. You need to provide as much information in your references as possible to prove to ACS that this is your occupation,

Hi kevsan,

I too am looking for 135112 (ICT Project Manager) and have to be assessed by providing a detailed history. My question though is, as an IT professional, I wasnt a PM from Day 1 in work. I gradually worked my way through various IT roles and now a senior PM for the past 3 years. I can stretch it back to 5 years as when I started working solely on project management

Do ACS expect 6 years solely as a PM to positively assess you as ICT Project Manager or do they acknowledge previous experience in the IT industry and the roles you had to get you to a stage when you became a PM? If not, then I need to detail 6 years being a PM for a positive result, which I will fall short of right now

Thanks

KP

Well I would regardless follow up with your wife's skills assessment. ICAA is certainly very quick and you could get an answer within ten days if you pay or priority and not much longer if you do the regular processing.

For the ACS RPL pathway, assuming you have some sort of a recognised Bachelor degree or higher (not sure given your comments above), you'll need 6 years work experience closely related to the occupation code you're applying for - note ACS has quite detailed descriptions of the duties and responsibilities of the ICT occupation codes - you can download these from the ACS site. If you do not have a tertiary qualification, you'll need an additional 2 years of ICT work experience, but these 2 years do not have to be closely related to your nominated occupation code.

You challenge is finding an ICT code where 6 of your years of experience will qualify as closely related, - you need to be able to demonstrate the skills/criteria in the list (you dont necessarily need to prove your job title was PM, but that the criteria was met - I suggest you study the ACS occupation descriptions very carefully and compare them to your work experience to try and find a code that will cover as much of your work experience as possible.

Also - I dont think that 135112 is on the sol at the moment, so you would only be able to get a State Sponsored 190 visa if you went down this route (i think the lists are getting revised tomorrow) and at the moment, only Victoria & South Australia are sponsoring, so you would need to get one of them to sponsor you as well. not a problem if you are planning to live in one of those states..

Thanks bungo and kevsan,

To summarise, wife's got the best chance and fast turn around so that's the route we are taking. My option is ICT Project Manager and as I have a Bachelor's that isnt recognised then I need to show 6 years closely related experience and 2 years any experience which is fine. But after doing all that, I will still be on the State Sponsored list. So going down my route will take forever.

Only if we dont hear positively from CFA will we think about going down my route, but I really doubt it.

Will keep you posted

Thanks!

KP

Why do you think the state sponsored route would take a long time. The state sponsorship approval for me took 8 working days from submission.

Well depending on state it might be fairly quick but it is a harder skills assessment and an extra step in the process versus the OH.

Well depending on state it might be fairly quick but it is a harder skills assessment and an extra step in the process versus the OH.

Yep, as Bungo replied, I meant the overall length of time required to get through the process for me versus OH

Bungo : Regarding CFA assessment, one of the criteria for overseas qualification is to provide the syllabus book so they have an overview of the subjects covered during the 3 year Bachelors course. If this isnt available, then a certified letter from the college with subjects details will also do. My question is what format do CFA expect? Havent been able to find any online and though I can create a bog standard template, I want to be sure CFA accept it. Turn around time to get this letter from OH's college is going to be long as its overseas and they arent known for their diligence or effectiveness :)

Cheers

KP

Yep, as Bungo replied, I meant the overall length of time required to get through the process for me versus OH

Bungo : Regarding CFA assessment, one of the criteria for overseas qualification is to provide the syllabus book so they have an overview of the subjects covered during the 3 year Bachelors course. If this isnt available, then a certified letter from the college with subjects details will also do. My question is what format do CFA expect? Havent been able to find any online and though I can create a bog standard template, I want to be sure CFA accept it. Turn around time to get this letter from OH's college is going to be long as its overseas and they arent known for their diligence or effectiveness :)

Cheers

KP

You keep saying CFA. Do you mean CPA?

I really wouldn't worry about format. I would have thought anything that states name of unit and a brief description of content?

Edited by Bungo

You keep saying CFA. Do you mean CPA?

I really wouldn't worry about format. I would have thought anything that states name of unit and a brief description of content?

Sorry and yes, I mean CPA!!!

Luckily her subjects are quite self explanatory and we managed to find her course descriptions on the university website. All we need is this information on the university letter head and we should be ready.

Some subjects do confuse my simple brain. For example Business or Corporate Law is the same at a high level but then it gets very specific to the country you studied in. So what does CPA use as a criteria to positively assess a person as meeting the Business Law requirement?

Ta

KP