Sydney Finance Jobs - 4 year visa

Shayman

Hi

It is likely that around Jan 16 my girlfriend who works for one of the big accounting firms will get a transfer across to their Sydney office from the UK.

As her long term partner I will be coming along too on (initially at least) a 4 year visa. I am a fully CIMA qualified accountant who would have to find a new job independently.

Has anyone experience or knowledge of difficulties I may have finding a decent job in this sector due to my visa type? In other words will I be up against it being classed non-permanent?

I have a friend in Perth who has had to do random admin jobs not at all related to his trade as he says employers don't favour his visa status. I am therefore wondering whether it'd be worthwhile applying for a permanent one now in order to give myself a better chance.

Regards

If I were you - I'd be starting the application process for a permanent visa to give yourself the option at the end of the 4 years. As an accountant, getting that visa is a fairly straightforward process. I assume your going out on a 457 sponsored by your gf's employers?

You'd be in a much better position with a permanent visa, and who knows whether or not you would be able to get one in 4 years time if you did want to stay on in oz. I'm not out there yet, but the finance job market it meant to be a tough one right now, and I would imagine that employers would always chose a permanent resident over someone on a temp visa. Its only natural.

Hi

It is likely that around Jan 16 my girlfriend who works for one of the big accounting firms will get a transfer across to their Sydney office from the UK.

As her long term partner I will be coming along too on (initially at least) a 4 year visa. I am a fully CIMA qualified accountant who would have to find a new job independently.

Has anyone experience or knowledge of difficulties I may have finding a decent job in this sector due to my visa type? In other words will I be up against it being classed non-permanent?

I have a friend in Perth who has had to do random admin jobs not at all related to his trade as he says employers don't favour his visa status. I am therefore wondering whether it'd be worthwhile applying for a permanent one now in order to give myself a better chance.

Regards

It will be the job market not the visa that will be the biggest hurdle. The job market for accountants is appalling at the moment, I have never seen it worse. Unless you can live on a single professional salary, I would be thinking hard about moving right now.

Thanks for the responses. We'd be ok money wise as she'll be going into quite a well paid and secure job.

For me personally, however, I'm one of those unfortunate souls whose overall happiness can be greatly affected by job satisfaction! I'm sure I'd get fixed up with something to pay the bills but don't want to be stuck in a rut out there having made such a big move...

My OH is dead set on going shortly after Christmas. Any idea what a likely processing time would be if I got the ball rolling in the next few weeks on a permanent visa application?

Edited by Shayman

Thanks for the responses. We'd be ok money wise as she'll be going into quite a well paid and secure job.

For me personally, however, I'm one of those unfortunate souls whose overall happiness can be greatly affected by job satisfaction! I'm sure I'd get fixed up with something to pay the bills but don't want to be stuck in a rut out there having made such a big move...

My OH is dead set on going shortly after Christmas. Any idea what a likely processing time would be if I got the ball rolling in the next few weeks on a permanent visa application?

You would easily get the skilled migrant visa by then.

Personally, I think this will be a slight advantage but I don't think it will make a huge difference as the main hurdle is simply shortage of opportunity. I wouldnt spend my money on it unless you think you will be staying. I know loads of people who found jobs and worked on a partners 457 visa, but that was in a better job market.