Can i get sponsored by my Uncle if i'm there on a WHV?

talk2dave

Hi! i'm new to the forum and desperately looking for some answers..

Heres a little background..

Basically my girlfriend goes back to Gero, WA in september, and i'll be going on a tourist visa to see her for christmas.

I'll also be going in May next year during my university summer break for 3 months, however, i'd quite like to leave university and stay there. I have an uncle in Mandurah who is the regional manager of a hardware store.

So my question is, If I was to work for my uncle on a WHV, will I be able to get sponsored by him to work for him for longer, and possibly work up a career?

If not, are apprenticeships possible? My girlfriend tells me there are lots of immigrants with apprenticeships.

I have looked at partner visas but I don't think we would be eligible as we are both young (20) and she is still at university.

I should add i have been a British citizen all my life.

Thanks, David.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to answer more clearly, but my initial reaction is 'no' your uncle will not be able to sponsor you.

To be sponsored you have to have worked in a specific occupation, have some qualifications and experience to back up why they can't employ some local over you. Even a RSMS (the regional sponsored visa) would be tricky as you would have quit university to come here and wouldn't have a specific job that you'd be applying under.

My advice is stay at University and get your qualifications. If you're still with your girlfriend at the end and can demonstrate a long term relationship (flying back and forth, holidays together, letters) then you might be able to qualify for a partner visa despite not living together (you've got good reasons, being at Uni etc).

Edited by nicolac34

Guest Longtime Lurker
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to answer more clearly, but my initial reaction is 'no' your uncle will not be able to sponsor you.

To be sponsored you have to have worked in a specific occupation, have some qualifications and experience to back up why they can't employ some local over you. Even a RSMS (the regional sponsored visa) would be tricky as you would have quit university to come here and wouldn't have a specific job that you'd be applying under.

My advice is stay at University and get your qualifications. If you're still with your girlfriend at the end and can demonstrate a long term relationship (flying back and forth, holidays together, letters) then you might be able to qualify for a partner visa despite not living together (you've got good reasons, being at Uni etc).

Nicolac34's reply makes a lot of sense and I also recommend this course of action.

Yup, what the others have said.

My hubby and I did the long distance thing after we met while he was finishing the last 2 years of a uni degree. And here we are 11 years later and still going strong. It can be done and in all honesty, with things like Skype and cheap phone calls etc these days, its not so bad as having to make do with IRC and IM on dodgy dial up. I truly believe that the long distance part of our relationship gave us a really good grounding to overcome all the hardships and so on since we began living together. We didn't give up on it all back then and worked hard appreciating what we had and we are the same now. Had he just quit his course and walked out mid degree I doubt we'd have the same relationship now. He is his own person and got to the UK on his own merits once he had completed his degree. I am sure you could do the same going to Aus, even if its on a WHV and then having a partner visa in the future if you meet all the requirements with your GF and are living together etc.

Finish your degree and enjoy some great trips to Aus while working towards it I reckon.

Thanks for the responses guys. To be honest i'm really not enjoying my time at university and I think Oz is the way to go, and not just because of my girlfriend, i'd been thinking about it for some time.

So there is deffinitely no way that when working for someone on a WHV i'd be able to gain qualifications?

Thanks.

Thanks for the responses guys. To be honest i'm really not enjoying my time at university and I think Oz is the way to go, and not just because of my girlfriend, i'd been thinking about it for some time.

So there is deffinitely no way that when working for someone on a WHV i'd be able to gain qualifications?

Thanks.

I would ony echo other advice, don't give up univeristy to work in a hardware store.

And, in fact, it is far from a sure thing that you would be able to secure a sponsored visa anyway.

Guest littlesarah

Every visa has conditions - the WHV is intended for holidaymakers who need to work to supplement their funds while in Aus, not as a means of coming here to study.

If you & your girlfriend lived together as if you were married, you could apply for a defacto visa, but you'd have to be able to demonstrate that you have a significant commitment to one another for at least a year. Usually that means living together, having joint accounts, bills etc. I have a friend who got in that way, but of course it wasn't an easy option by any means.