Any teachers HELP

Guest GavandSteph

Guest GavandSteph

Hi fellow teachers,

We are High School teachers wanting to make the move. Having read some of the posts on here, it seems quite difficult to get work. Have you all found this or are we worrying over nothing. We are flexible over where we go as long as we're near a beach. It would be great to hear from you.

Hi there,

I'm a primary school teaching heading to Melbourne in 3 weeks time. I am already registered with a supply agency and had an informal chat with one of the managers on the phone. He seems to think I will have no problem getting a permanent job once I head out there. He says supply teaching is a good way of getting into teaching, you learn the differences and then make a reputation in the schools you get placed in. He also said lots of schools do recruit the supply teachers they have used.

Some people do have difficulties, partly because of the state they are in and the requirements the state has for registration. I already have my registration with Victorian Institute of Teaching and it lasts for 5 years (with a few conditions e.g. so long actually spent in the classroom and 50 hours professional development during that time).

Hopefully, as long as I'm prepared to be quite flexible and don't mind the types of schools, I should be okay. I remain positive!!! (I have taught in a school in a very poor area of Milton Keynes - not the worst in the country I know but in the bottom 3%!)

Hope this helps a little,

Felicity:wub:

Guest GavandSteph

Hi Felicity,

Thats really helpful. Thankyou. I know we're being a little premature as we're looking at 2009 but do you have an e mail contact address for your supply agency so we can try to find out if we are likely to get work.

Thanks and best wishes for the move. Just in time for an Aussie summer

Hi there again,

I use SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site to surf for jobs on a regular basis. I used them to find the names of different supply agencies and then just sent off a basic email to all of them explaining my current situation. I had responses from all of them, most saying that there is work available and that when I arrive in oz get in touch and they'll get me work!

The Emergency Teacher Agency supply casual relief teachers to Government and Private Primary and Secondary schools within the south-eastern suburbs of Melbourne Maryanne-cox@emergency-teacher-agency.com.au

Standby Staff - Teachers

Select Education - only have offices in Sydney and Adelaide but definitely provide work for secondary school teachers information@selecteducation.com.au

Teacher Relief Services t.relief@bigpond.net.au

I have been consulting with ANZUK Teachers - just need a face to face interview to sign a few papers and get out into a class room!

e. daniel@anzukteachers.com.au

w. www.anzukteachers.com.au

Hope this helps a little more!

Felicity:wubclub:

Guest GavandSteph

Hi again. Thanks for those web sites. I have e mailed a couple of them & they, like you, were encouraging. Sorry to ask this as I'm sure its been posted a million times on here but did you do your own visa forms or did you employ an agent? I'm scared to spend all of that money if I don't have to. Thanks

I don't mind answering questions if I can help!

I did the skills assessment myself but we employed an agent (The Emigration Group) to do the visa application for us, money well spent if you ask me! I did my own registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching - I can now teach as soon as I get there.

Felicity:cute:

Guest col&dee

Hi guys,

When you are ready to apply for registration give yourselves plenty of time before you jet off. I know Feleicity got hers within about 5 weeks for Victoria but I have been waiting just short of 3 months for Queensland and I still don't have it!!!! They took my money within the first fortnight and I have not heard a peep since. I've sent a few emails which have not been replied to. I fly out next Wednesday. It does say on Queensaland website that it can take 2-3 months if you apply from abroad but I just thought they were covering themselves. Looks like I'll need to be a lady of leisure for a little while.

ps Our visa is through my OH's job so I didn't need to do too much work for the visa - not sure if I can offer any more help.

Denise

Hi guys,

When you are ready to apply for registration give yourselves plenty of time before you jet off. I know Feleicity got hers within about 5 weeks for Victoria but I have been waiting just short of 3 months for Queensland and I still don't have it!!!! They took my money within the first fortnight and I have not heard a peep since. I've sent a few emails which have not been replied to. I fly out next Wednesday. It does say on Queensaland website that it can take 2-3 months if you apply from abroad but I just thought they were covering themselves. Looks like I'll need to be a lady of leisure for a little while.

ps Our visa is through my OH's job so I didn't need to do too much work for the visa - not sure if I can offer any more help.

Denise

Blimey Denise,

I can't believe you're still waiting! Hey ho, lady of leisure it will be then - I do wonder how on earth you'll cope LOL. I arrive just before the school holidays so I probably won't start work until the beginning of October and then what a blow, it's long school hols at the end of December.

I wish you all the best for your journey next week - keep in touch and let us know how you're getting on,

Felicity:wubclub:

Archived