Does Lifetime Health Cover apply to 457 visa holder?

go4wen

Hello Guys,

I am in the middle of applying for 457 visa. Therefore I am doing a research and trying to understand each aspect about health insurance for 457 visa holders.

I do have one question that I cannot figure it out by myself, that is does Lifetime Health Cover apply to 457 visa holder? In other words, do I have to pay the 2*X% loading of hospital cover if the day I purchase private health insurance is later than the Lifetime Health Cover base day(1st of July following my 31st birthday)?

There is one statement saying that:

Overseas Visitors Health Cover, Overseas Student Health Cover and international forms of insurance are not considered to be hospital cover for Lifetime Health Cover purposes

However, I am not able to understand what it means. The following link is what I refer to:

http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/healthinsurance/incentivessurcharges/lifetimehealthcover.htm

Thanks,

Wen

Lifetime health cover only applies to citizens and PRs.

Hi Ozmaniac,

Saw your answers on Yahoo years ago xD.

One following question from me:

Can I have a basic health cover complying with DIAC from one insurer, and other extra cover from another (probably after my landing)?

I am a resident from non-RHCA country and the package products I am shopping around seem not quite cover my needs..

Cheers,

Wen

I honestly don't know the answer to that one. I know it's possible for someone who is eligible for Medicare to take out Extras cover by itself so I'd say there's a reasonably good chance that a 457 holder would be able to also do that but that would be up to the individual insurer.

if you have cover even as a 457 holder - you will qualify for life time cover when you get PR, or at least thats how it seems to have worked for us. You need to get cover within 1 year of arriving to qualify if you're over 30 for the loading value to be set at the same as if you had insurance before you were 31 - if that makes sense

I honestly don't know the answer to that one. I know it's possible for someone who is eligible for Medicare to take out Extras cover by itself so I'd say there's a reasonably good chance that a 457 holder would be able to also do that but that would be up to the individual insurer.

Thank you. That's exactly what I am looking for, one basic cover with Extra that is customized somehow..

I will probably go with IMAN's visitor plus plan for half a year, then see how it goes. Stop being indecisive! :wink:

if you have cover even as a 457 holder - you will qualify for life time cover when you get PR, or at least thats how it seems to have worked for us. You need to get cover within 1 year of arriving to qualify if you're over 30 for the loading value to be set at the same as if you had insurance before you were 31 - if that makes sense

Thanks Cal2, I think I do not have to worry about LHC loading even if I pass the age threshold, as long as I am on 457. PR is yet on my schedule, but I will start looking into possibilities. :)