Flights booked for 30th Nov

James Shamim

Finally booked my flight to Brisbane for the 30th November, recetly been through a break up so just went for it (then yeah kinda told her straight away :/ )! Got 3 months to save! Luckily my Brother lives in Brisbane and has sorted me a job out :)..

Anyway, can someone help me with a list on what I need to do now haha, this was literally booked today on impulse! Already been granted my Visa which was madness how quick it was! I did have a tourist visa to visit my brother a while back though, never went! Any help arrpeciated, like banking, tax, all sorts of random info you can fill my brain with.

Cheers

Hey!! I go in 18 days (not that I'm counting lol). Open a bank account before you arrive, commonwealth are meant to be really good!! They have loads of cash points- more than NAB anyway. Takes a few mins via their website.

Tax file number - equivalent to NI number here, Medicare (very basic cover) and sim you can sort out when you land!! Check your phone will work abroad - majority do anyway!! maybe you need to sort out your phone contract here (if you have one) and see what they can do for you if you need to end it or whatever!

Think about travel insurance, Alpha quoted me £115 for the year!! Other than that, decide if you are taking a suitcase or backpack and get saving!

If you aren't staying with your brother for a while until you get sorted, perhaps look at accommodation for a few weeks until you are starting the job! I booked mine through booking.com and you can reserve and pay when you arrive! I can't think of much else I'm just going off what I've got to do haha!!

Hope you are ok- I've just gone through a breakup myself! It gets better and going to Oz is the best decision ever for me. Alix

Edited by Alix Fisher

James, I'm headed out to Brisbane Mid October. Be sure to stay in touch with me, as I will have a head-start on ya and could probably share some knowledge. I'm the organized/thorough type haha. Lets grab a beer at some point. And if you would be so kind, if your brother shoots pool (billiards out there i assume?) ask him the best spot to play! I love to play and will be asking everyone until i find a good place! hahaha.