On me own

Charlie Westover

Hey guys!

I've been in Aus for 4 months now, but have only recently actually started doing any serious travelling as I tried to save some money up when I first landed.

I'm currently on Gold Coast, and being on my own hasn't bothered me until now. I've decided to stay here until after Christmas then keep moving, so I'd like to meet a few people while I'm spending an extended period of time here!

I'm here on my own, and I've found it's a painful cycle to meet people when you aren't working. I find going out to bars or pubs or whatever a bit weird on my own, but it's really the only way to meet people!

Anyway, if anybody's about give me a shout!

Charlie

What accommodation are you staying in?

I find hostels are great places to meet fellow solo travellers, just make sure they have a communal are where people can chill and chat to others.

I find the best way to get chatting is have a bottle of booze and offer someone some.....always kick starts a conversation

What accommodation are you staying in?

I find hostels are great places to meet fellow solo travellers, just make sure they have a communal are where people can chill and chat to others.

I find the best way to get chatting is have a bottle of booze and offer someone some.....always kick starts a conversation

That's a problem I've had, I don't drink and other backpackers don't tend to really accept that haha. Aussie's have found it weird but generally have looked past it, but I've actually felt it cause some sort of automatic tension with other people travelling, which I think is very odd.

I'm in a share house cause it's so much cheaper a hostel, I'm only paying $90 a week.

That was something I'm worried about too. I'm not usually a massive drinker but I'm still quite happy to sit in the pub and just not drink as much as the rest. So I'm hoping I'll be okay

Yeah I have no problem with being around alcohol and such, I enjoy the social side of it as much as everybody else just without the alcohol haha. Like I say, I've found the locals a lot more accommodating than other backpackers, the typical response I've had a few times now is people branding me "boring" as soon as they find out.