2 months on, thought I'd do a little update

etjenkins

So just over 2 months ago I left the wet and miserable UK and flew out from Heathrow to Cairns stopping at Singapore and Brisbane for a few hours. At Cairns I was meant to be picked up from the airport but never happened so I got a taxi to my hostel. I arrived at the hostel to find that there were a lot of Germans there and not many English people. I then spent the next week in Cairns and went out to the Great Barrier Reef on one of the days and it was amazing and got to see a turtle. Then going with my original plan I came up to Port Douglas and stayed at Dougies for a week, was miles nicer compared to the previous hostel, but I am now renting a room in a resort which is very nice, have a king size bed, 42" TV and a massive pool, soooo much nicer than hostels and not much more expensive! I didn't do a lot for the first few weeks just tried to get a job but with no luck so spent most of my time down at the beach or in the swimming pool. I did go up to Cape Tribulation on a day tour which was amazing and although pretty expensive was more than worth it in my opinion. Then I finally managed to get a job and work with really nice guys doing quite a lot of hours so earning enough to pay my way and then quite a bit left over. Oh and watched the solar eclipse which was weird and amazing.

There are some things I miss from the UK mainly my family and all my friends but also sometimes the weather, I work in a kitchen and 26 degree plus temperatures aren't that fun to work in and biscuits like Foxes Viennese Fingers and Chocolate rings although I do have lots of tim tams which compensate for that.

I was surprised at how expensive some things are over here especially food, however you can get away with spending little on food if you're fussy like me, all my diet has consisted of really is mash potato (out of a packet), tinned spaghetti, chicken nuggets or chicken and cheese schnitzel or pasta and carbonara or cheese sauce with bacon. I don't have any proper cooking facilities over than an electric frying pan, kettle and microwave and I get fined if I set off the smoke alarm. Although I have had pancakes and lots of chocolatey things for pudding.

A lot of people I've met think I'm really brave to have to come to Australia all by myself at the age of 18, one backpacker who is 25 said he had guessed I was older as he didn't think anyone would be come to Australia alone at the age of 18 and that he certainly wouldn't. I don't think being 18 is an issue, it's just an adventure to me and is great to build my independence and confidence, only thing is there is hardly anyone else around that's a similar age so making friends with people your own age is tricky.

All in all, having an amazing time out here and love my life. Anyone who is thinking of doing a working holiday or anyone who has a question or wants to know more feel free to ask and I'll try to answer it the best I can.

Elliot :)

What a great update, glad that you are managing so well. I always found when traveling alone that more people actually speak to you. I hope you can find some people your own age soon. There are quite a few members who live in Cairns maybe they can help with where the younger ones hang out. Also your Mum might be worried at the lack of greens in your diet and fruit :laugh:

Thanks for the replies :)

I've never liked any vegetables so not going to eat things I don't like, I probably drink more than enough fruit juice to make up for my lack of fruit although it's not quite the same.

Know the feeling, but it's more like 46degrees in the kitchen!

Yeah I don't know how hot it actually is but I was just going on the outside temp always being above 26 whereas in the UK that would rarely happen so it'd be somewhat hotter before you even involve a kitchen. Either way it's not very fun :P

Well I think I came up here at the wrong time of year, I struggled to find a job and applied to many places doing all sorts of different jobs. Anyway I was after some chips, and found a place that said fish and chips so thought I'd try there, and I noticed a thing on one of the counters saying they needed a waiter. I went back the next day with my CV and asked about it, he gave me a trial shift and then I've been working there since but as a kitchen hand not waiter. However it is very quiet around town now with hardly anyone around despite the really nice weather so doubt there are many jobs going. I think if you come at the right time you would quite easily get a job, but get the wrong time like me and you may find it tricky.

You save $300 a week on food :o I don't even spend that much on food and drink in a month!! Although I don't drink any alcohol which keeps my costs down, as I don't like the stuff :P