4 weeks down under

sunshine please

Hi everyone

Decided to thrill you all with our first 4 weeks of Canberra :-))

We are loving it so far, yes something's are a lot more expensive than the uk but coming from Ireland where we spent the past ten years, the prices aren't too bad. Houses are the pit fall though. We were put up in furnished accommodation for the first 2 months and although a little arty farty it's a lovely house. We are in Aranda and decided we love here and surrounding burbs.....we imagined finding a house to rent for the first year would be easy.....little did we know......dum dum dum

The first house we looked at in Aranda was 650 a week which you all know in act rental terms works out to be around 700 a week. Anyway had a picture of a fabulous garden and one blurry shot of the interior...hhmmmm..we arrived at the viewing with 20 other like minded people. They unlocked the door and it was like a stampede....OMG...I walked in turned around and walked back out....estate agent asked was something wrong, I said yes I think we are at the wrong house...but alas no....it was the right house. Green flowery carpets circa 1970 including stains, pink bathroom including a tide mark the Atlantic ocean would be proud of!! Some poor soul pulled out a kitchen drawer and the unit collapsed. I understand the blurry pictures!!!! Talking to the estate agent she said to me, I'm not sure if the owner is going to allow pets, my reply, it's ok I would be worried my dogs might catch fleas in there!!!! 2 more disaster houses followed!!! We actually gave up for a week, lowered our standards, believe me in some cases not all the money in the world helps. We looked at one for 1000$ a week and it was awful. Anyway we increased our suburb search and found a renovated older one in Melba, not too bad and everything except the walls is new and clean...phewwww....the houses are out there just be prepared to look :-))

We move in on the 5th of April to enjoy our cardboard furniture until our stuff arrives on the 6th of may. What fun :-))

Loads to do and see in Canberra and nothing is too far away. We are all loving it and have met up ith a good bunch from here and fb, there has been a few boozy bbq's :-)) great way to find out about everything.

We have Also met our roof top river dancing possum, very cute but bloody noisy.

Anyway if ur on ur way over....enjoy it and treat the first month or o as an adventure. The sunshine helps :-))

Guest The Ropey HOFF

​All the very best of luck with your journey, i am sure there will be more ups than downs, you seem really positive.

Guest Leachy

A great insight to your first 4 weeks. We cant wait. Were arriving in May...............to what though, I'm not quite sure!!? lol

Archived