Manly schools

sevenseas

Hi, we are in the UK at the moment and are planning to move back to the Manly area. We are trying to choose a high school for our daughter. Looking at state schools (Mackellar?) or possibly Stella Maris as we applied years ago before leaving the area and have been fortunate to be offered a place. However our knowledge of the schools is very limited due to being away from the area and we would be grateful for any information about which of these would be a good school to send her to, or if there are any other schools we should perhaps consider?

Guest shusselmann

Hi,

Sorry I'm not familiar with these specific schools but in case you haven't already used it, you could review school profiles on the government's My School website. It contains information on demographics, number of teaching staff, past NAPLAN results and school financials.

I wouldn't necessarily base decisions on this data but it's interesting to take a look :-)

All the best with your plans.

Guest Relocate Northern Beaches

Hi there I know both schools very well.

I know that MacKellar is very strict on its catchment area .

If you live in their area and are Auustralian Citizens you should get in

i would e mail them and ask about availability for yr 7 (?)

MacKellar also has a selective component which would also be open to your daughter if you were in the area (and Australian or a Permanent resident)

if you have a place at Stella Maris then you would be able to have more choice about where you could live

i have had clients who are very happy with both the schools you mention so it might just be down to where you want to live

If you are Australian citizens you could also contact Manly Selective school to see if there was a way to get your daughter to sit the selective entrance test

http://www.manlyselective.nsw.edu.au/

Hi, thank you for your replies. We have a bit of time thankfully as daughter currently in Y5. I am probably worrying too much as we will be able to visit both schools later this year. We will be in the catchment for Mackellar btw so should hopefully have the choice.

I have been in touch with both schools and am a bit confused by the whole selective/mixed ability set up they seem to have (was told here in the UK that mixed ability classes are a big no-no but it seems to be the norm in Australia?) Any idea where I could get advice on this?

Guest Relocate Northern Beaches
Hi, thank you for your replies. We have a bit of time thankfully as daughter currently in Y5. I am probably worrying too much as we will be able to visit both schools later this year. We will be in the catchment for Mackellar btw so should hopefully have the choice.

I have been in touch with both schools and am a bit confused by the whole selective/mixed ability set up they seem to have (was told here in the UK that mixed ability classes are a big no-no but it seems to be the norm in Australia?) Any idea where I could get advice on this?

The comprehensive public high schools are basically mixed ability in yr 7 and then they start to stream in Yr 8. MacKellar in particular has a selective component for which children must sit the selective high school test ( which they do in Year 6 around about this time of the year)This is not currently open to 457 visa holders )I believe this to be correct but i will need to check on that on monday. I know my other clients have been a bit confused about their policy so you have spurred me on to find out ...it was on my to do list so thank you! Watch this space!

Archived