New to PomsInOz - Hello all

Guest denise milligan

Guest denise milligan

Hi all

I am thrilled to be a new member of PomsInOz (found the website by chance). My husband and I have started the visa process and fingers crossed we will be in Oz by end of August. We are planning on moving to Dunsborough, South West Coast.

We went to Oz in January to a wedding and did a fair bit of research when we were there, we were lucky enough to find a sponsor (bumped into him outside a cafe!) who agreed to sponsor us (my hubby is a plasterer) and as soon as we got back we put our house on the market.

As we don't want to wait for our permanent visa we have opted to apply for a 4year Subclass 457 4 yr visa first and then hopefully can lodge our permanent residency visa in the next 6 months.

Any advice you can give us is much appreciated and vice versa. Would also love to hear from anyone planning to move to our neck of the woods (Dunsborough).

Something that might interest you all (not sure if you know). Our immigration consultant based in WA emailed me today say that he has been notified of some possible changes to the migration regulations.

They are just proposals at this stage, and that some of the options that DIMA are currently considering may not be introduced into the migration regulations. In addition, there is no clear indication about likely timing (possibly the second half of this year, or early 2007).

Nevertheless, two of the proposals could have an impact on a future applications for permanent residence. Firstly, the points for professional skills that are available for some trade occupations may drop from 60 to 50 - if introduced, and if my husband's occupation of Plasterer was affected, we may not be able to achieve the overall pass mark of 120 in the points test for the Skilled Independent Migrant visa category.

Secondly, some occupations may be removed from the Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL).

He said he would keep me informed so I will pass any information on...

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Dee

Guest scoop

Hi Dee

Welcome to Poms :D

My understanding was that they review the list every year as regards to skill shortages in Aus.

Are you with ASA by any chance?

Good luck with your plans

SCoop

s

Guest denise milligan

Hi Scoop

Thanks for the welcome. We are going through AAV, Australian Advanced Visas, we were put in touch with them via Ian Harrop Assoc. I am sure we will have loads of questions throughout the process and feel a bit better to know there are so many others going through the same and can hopefully answer some of our questions.

Dee

Guest scoop

This is a really good site Dee, everyone is very supportive. Never had a question not answered.

Good luck with it all hun, I'm sure we'll be speaking soon.

SCoop

x

Guest Beki

Hi Dee,

A warm welcome to you! Thank you for the info. My hubby Rich says "I knew they'd do that, this is for a limited time only, once they've got who they want, BANG! They'll shut the door!"

Nice to "meet" you! :D Beki :D

Guest denise milligan

Thanks Loz

I have already learned so much this evening (spent maybe a little too long on the computer though) :lol:

Dee

Thats only the beginning - it gets worse. You get addicted.

Read back on some of the posts - you will get a laugh.

Some of the people on here are still in their pyjamas mid afternoon !!!!

Archived