Seeking advices regarding giving birth in Sydney. Move planned at 7 1/5 months

Guest Calista

Guest Calista

Dear all,

We are a french-american family of 4. We have obtained our permanent resident visa and intend to move permanently to Sydney around August 20th.

Our son, is 4 year old, our daughter will be 2 in June and I'm 7 weeks pregnant. Baby is due mid October, so during the move I'll be about 7 and 1/5 months pregnant.

I'm a bit lost regarding giving birth in Sydney. I've seen that in Australia, you can go Public, Private in Private or Private in Public.

I gave birth twice in France, in a Private hospital, with care for premature baby (in case the baby would come early). It was the same Obstatrician who followed me during my pregnancy and helped me to gave birth (he was called at 3 am by the hospital, came over for me to give birth). I had my own room, epidural. I liked it as I found reassuring to have the same person following me all the way through. I also liked to be in a hospital where I knew if the baby came early, they could deal with it without transfering either myself or the baby to another hospital. But I don't know if it works the same in Australia.

On arrival, we are thinking about living in areas such as Mosman, Neutral bay, Cremorne, Cammeray, although nothing is sure yet as it will depend where we can find a rental (maximum budget is 700 AUD per week and we want at least 3 bedrooms + proximity of public transports). I would have loved Manly.... but will not be in the budget...

If you have any advice (how does the system public/private work/ which hospitals have good reputation, how to choose an ob/midwife, cost estimate, I'd be greatful).... as I need to plan ahead this last minute arrival.

Thanks,

Anne-Isabelle

Guest Relocate Northern Beaches

Hi there

its a while since I had babies here but i think you will find their are two routes you could go

Use medicare and go to Royal North Shore, Manly or Mona Vale . I actually lived in Mosman and went over the bridge because

King George V had a birth centre

Or you could go private and have your check ups with an obstetrician . You will pay a fee which is partly covered by medicare and a little more by your health fund and then the rest is YOURS to pay.

The most popular private hospital for births are Royal North Shore Private and The Mater

if you are healthy and had no problems I"d go with medicare

if a series situation develops and you want the same obstetrician you can always switch to private later on

Your 700 will not get you a very nice 3 bed house in Mosman most decent 3 bed places are a 1000 plus.

I suggest you take some short tern accommodation and then start looking at areas and schools you may want to take a look at

Also look at

http://www.domain.com.au

http://www.realestate.com.au

to get an idea of rents

Archived