Name Change Certificate from Victoria

elizawilliam

Hello! More questions.... hoping someone can shed some light!

I need to renew my Aussie passport but it was issued in my maiden name (I got married 8 years ago but never got around to changing the name in it!). I have found out I have to apply to the state I was born in (Victoria) for a name change certificate because I married in the UK and the change of name is not recognised by Australia when it is on a UK marriage certificate. Has anyone done this recently? I downloaded the forms but it appears that everything (all documents) has to be certified by a JP, magistrate or notary public and it takes up to 20 days. All this needs doing before I can renew my passport and then submit my other halfs spouse visa. Can a professional person certify things or does it have to be the people you pay!? And also does it take as long as 20 days in others experience? As it takes 4-6 months for spouse visa really want to get it submitted asap but obviously need to sort all this first. Have most of spouse visa paperwork ready to go. Thank you - sorry for boring waffle. So pleased to have found this forum would be quite lost otherwise.

Guest GoldCoastMag

I would imagine that you can use your old passport along with other documents and lodge your application now, letting the CO know when you have the new details.

In our case it was my OH who was renewing his US passport and that is what we did,

hope it helps

Archived