Shipping quotes changing - any advice?

gemstone

Hi all,

I was told by the shipping companies when they came out to quote that the prices may go up a bit in April because shipping companies sometimes put the prices up. I had 8 quotes and I very quickly got it down to 4 based on first impressions and quote prices. I would like to see if they can do a better price, but is there any point before April? Has anyone else had any experience of this. Our stuff will be packed at the end of July.

Thanks G

Guest oldmarried

I would wait until much closer to when you want packing to negotiate and book. You need to allow about 3 weeks to book if you are packing in July. All companies will have pretty similar conditions which is that the quotes are only valid if the goods are packed within 30 days. Not only could there be significant rises in packing material costs (last year they went up 25% in 6 months) but also certain parts of the move are bought in foreign currency and this could fluctuate. So bottom line, if you agree a price too far out there is no guarantee it could stay the same.

Archived