UK taxi company that provides decent car seats

oidara

Hi folks,

I'm afraid I'm quite....um, particular...(okay, okay, I mean anal!) when it comes to car seats for my kids. I am looking into an airport transfer to get us to Heathrow when we go but I have called a dozen so far and they are all totally clueless about what car seats they have available. If I ever do get to the bottom of what they have, it's not what I would consider safe enough.

I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old, and I particularly don't want the 4 year old to just be in a cushion booster or a booster without integral 5-point harness. I would also rather that the 2 year old is rear-facing, but I appreciate this is probably a big ask. They weigh 16kg and 12kg respectively at the moment and we travel on 1 June, so my 4 year old might just about still fit a Group 1 seat.

Can anyone recommend a taxi company that takes child car seats a bit more seriously?

Thanks!

Don't quote me on this, but taxis are under no obligation to provide car seats. That is on the parent/customer IIRC.

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/

http://www.safekids.co.uk/newcarseatlaws2006.html

Personally if you are insisting on a car with car seats I'd hire a car for the day with car seats and drop at Heathrow.

Or send your bags with someone in the taxi and take the kids on the express. Or get the National Express coach with them from Victoria to Heathrow (and if need be have the other adult go with bags in car).

Of course! We didn't think of hiring a car - seems so obvious now! Thanks, snifter. I would much prefer to do it this way as it takes a lot of the stress away - means we can get the car 24 hours beforehand and ensure the car seats are up to scratch rather than being on tenterhooks on the morning of departure waiting for the taxi company to arrive and worrying they will have just brought a rope to tie the kids to the roof rack! ;-)

Archived