hypothetical question about ideal situations....

Dansi

hi all,

just wanted to get some input on my ideal situation as I obviously want to be 100% certain about my move to Aus.

Here in the uk we have a household income of Approximately £40k, which is a struggle to say the least. We are hoping to relocate in order to allow us to have more disposable income to actually enjoy life a little instead of working to scrape through.

I am currently speaking with a couple of employers/agencies who are all talking about FIFO roles that would come with an income of around AUD150k. My personal feelings is that this would allow a more comfortable lifestyle even taking into account that Aus is slightly more expensive.

In the UK I live near Brighton, which is possibly the most expensive area in the UK after London. I would be looking to relocate to Near Perth (I am doing research into Rockingham at the moment);

My question is really asking opinions on the above statement, are my feelings correct, would we have more disposable income???

Thanks in advance

Simon

Based on my research as I am not there yet!! We have a household income over here of £35K approx. + benefits for the kids. We live in Cornwall which despite popular belief is very expensive for the wages we get down here. We are budgeting on an income of $90K to start with over there and feel we would just about match our lifestyle over here for that and we would hope that when I get my work (it's hard full stop for me to get my jobs so expecting to have to work in basic stuff to start) I think our household income will go up to about £110K and that would give us a reasonable amount spare. We are looking at Sydney which I believe is more expensive than Perth. SO I would say given that we are a family of 5 and dependent on your lifestyle and financial commitments that you would be better off

Hi there Simon,

I don't know much about Perth but having been in Sydney 4 months now on a similar income 'swap' to yours (£46k to $150k), I would say you will have a better standard of living than you currently have. Obviously I can only speak from our situation, others may be different, but so far we are finding life here more comfortable than life was in the UK....and we live in Sydney! We are shelling out quite a bit on rent each month,but for that we are in a 4 bed place in a good suburb only 30 mins from the CBD (in the UK we were in a small 3 bed house miles from a decent town). Cost of living wise, some things are cheaper (coffees, petrol, shoes), some things not (clothes, branded goods in the supermarkets - cereals etc). One problem you might find here though is if you want to buy a house in the future....our money left over from our house sale in the UK last year is still in the UK and with the exchange rate will not be as much in AUD as we need for a deposit here on a family sized house. Anyway, hope that helps!

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys, sorry for the late reply, I've been a little distracted travelling around for interviews and working all hours.

Sounds like all is going to be ok. just need that offer now.

All the best.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

With UK average wages dropping, the average wage in Australia is close to 2.5 dollars to £1 and working costs out at that rate, will see you having a similar standard of living in Australia. So your UK wage of £40k = 100k aud. so the 50k on top of that will see you having 1,000 per week extra to live on in Australia, I think you will be really well hoff compared to your life in the UK. Ignore the current exchange rate when working out the cost of living and check out the great housing site, realestate.au the houses are fantastic, we liked Rockingham. Best of luck.

With UK average wages dropping, the average wage in Australia is close to 2.5 dollars to £1 and working costs out at that rate, will see you having a similar standard of living in Australia. So your UK wage of £40k = 100k aud. so the 50k on top of that will see you having 1,000 per week extra to live on in Australia, I think you will be really well hoff compared to your life in the UK. Ignore the current exchange rate when working out the cost of living and check out the great housing site, realestate.au the houses are fantastic, we liked Rockingham. Best of luck.

Thanks Jim,

Been mainly looking around safety bay and waikiki, which both look great. Thanks for the financial explanation, I had heard something about working out at 2.5 my UK equivalent, I guess I am just making sure.

Dansi

Archived