Driving Tests & Cars

Kimanda

Hi,

My partner drives and has a full UK license but I only have a provisional. Rather than try and pass my test in the UK, im thinking of doing it in Australia (Im over 25) as soon as our visa is granted and we touch down. I just wanted to see if anyone has experience with a driving test in Victoria state, and what types of cars you guys are driving...manual or automatic?

Are they conducted privately or by the state? Do many people drive manuals or automatics there? Are second hand cars relatively cheap to buy or are we best off buying a brand new car (were not planning on getting our car shipped over).

Ive taken a test in the UK before and failed, ive never really been interested in taking it again here given our plans to emigrate.

If anyone has experience of what its like driving in Oz, it would really help! Thanks

Guest The Pom Queen

Personally if you can do it in the UK I would, the Oz system is a nightmare with the L's and P's and the number of hours you have to drive.

Yes 2nd hand cars are more expensive but they last longer.

85% of cars are automatic, manuals sell really cheap as no one wants them.

Guest The Pom Queen

Have a read, I think because you are over 25 you won't have to do the hours but you will need to be on L's for 3 months ;that's driving with someone with a full license. You can then sit your test and go for your P's http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licences/GetYourPs/Howtogetyourprobationarycarlicence.htm

You then have P1 and P2 and are subject to restrictions

A person who obtains a P1 or P2 probationary licence is subject to the following restrictions:

• Must have a zero blood alcohol content (BAC of .00) at all times when driving
  • Drink driving offenders caught with a BAC of 0.07 or more will have to fit an alcohol ignition interlock for a minimum of six months once re-licensed.
  • Must display an appropriate 'P' plate on the front and rear of the vehicle which is clearly visible from a distance of 20 metres*
  • Must carry licence at all times while driving
  • Must only drive a vehicle with an automatic transmission if the test was passed in an automatic vehicle. (This does not apply if the person has previously held a manual licence)
  • Must not accumulate five or more demerit points in any twelve month period or twelve or more demerit points in a three year period.
  • No mobile phone use including hands free or hands held or any messaging of any kind for P1 probationary licence holders - Note: P2 probationary and full licence holders can use hands free
  • No towing for P1 probationary drivers unless for work or at the request of the employer, or driving solely in connection with agriculture, horticulture, dairying, pastoral, commercial fishing, or under instruction with an experienced driver in the vehicle
  • Restrictions on driving a probationary prohibited vehicle with eight cylinders, vehicles with turbocharged or supercharged engines, and nominated high performance six cylinder vehicles. Offences will attract a fine and three demerit points
  • Any suspension, drink driving offence without licence cancellation or suspension, or drug driving offence, will result in an extension of the P1 or P2 period
  • P1 probationary drivers will only be permitted to carry one passenger (irrespective of age) for the balance of the P1 period on re-issue of a suspended or cancelled licence as a result of a traffic offence. Medical Review, Sheriff's Office suspensions and suspensions as a result of an offence committed under Section 51 of the Road Safety Act 1086 are excluded
  • P1 probationary drivers will only be permitted to carry one peer passenger aged 16 and less than 22 years when driving

* The probationary prohibited vehicle and requirement to display 'P' plate conditions do not apply to a member of the police force in the course of duty and driving a police motor vehicle. The requirement to display a 'P' plate does not apply to a member of the Country Fire Authority, State Emergency Service or an ambulance officer driving the vehicle in the course of duty.

Archived